Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to motorcycles, just inherited an '83 GS550E. Few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to motorcycles, just inherited an '83 GS550E. Few questions.

Hi everyone. One of my friends just decided to give me his bike since he no longer has time to ride/maintain it. First things first, it needs a few parts, and I needed some clarification on what exactly he was talking about. I searched and believe I've answered one of my questions, but I just want to double check before I start spending money on this bike. He said it needs valve cover grommets, which I believe are #4 in the following image, correct?

66666666666666.jpg

Second, he told me I needed two o-rings (doubled up) on the fuel return hose, but I couldn't find any diagrams or pictures where there were two o-rings stacked together. Is he incorrect or am I missing something? I would post a picture of the diagram I've been looking at but unfortunately I can't figure out how to attach more than one picture per post.

Thank you in advance for your help and I can't wait to learn more about these motorcycles.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM.

Welcome. Keep in mind that your free bike will likely need some cash thrown its way. Free bikes arent... Anyway, the valve cover "grommet" you're looking at is basically a rubber washer to seal the bolts. Be very careful tightening them. If its like my 1150, bolt will have a shoulder which touches the cam cap when tightened down. Overtightening it will strip it very easily.

Not sure about the o rings.
    You can post multiple pics using a photo hosting site and linking the photos.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The valve cover grommets pressure the valve cover gasket so they are pretty important in making sure the bike doesn't leak oil up top. If the grommets are compressed / squashed then it's likely the gasket might need replacing as well.

The fuel o rings are probably for the T piece where the fuel enters the carb rack. You should run some fuel in there are see if they are leaking first of all. You can probably get o rings somewhere else for this - not necessarily need to go OEM. Make sure they are ethanol resistant though (nitrile).
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Are there any other very common problems with these I should be on the lookout for? My uncle and I going over everything with a fine-tooth comb on Sunday, but knowing what to look for before we get in there would be even better.

Comment

Check your charging system: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Welcome to the site, dbd.
            Repair manuals, how-to tutorials and a source for o-rings are all available here.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome, before riding that bike. Go through the electrical system and update the Reg/rectifier. These years 550 have issues with blowing their ignitor boxes because of crap regulator/rect, simple upgrade fixes this and avoids buying expensive ignitors.
              1984 GS550ES
              Rebuild in progress....

1983 GS750ES
              4700 miles

1978 GS1000E...Resto-mod to come

Comment

This motorcycle doesn't have a fuel return hose. There is a vacuum hose that operates the fuel shut off valve (petcock), and a fuel line that goes from the petcock to the fuel lines mentioned above that run between the carburetors, as mentioned above. It is common for the petcock to fail in a manner which allows fuel to enter the vacuum line that is connected to one of the carburetors.

Those bikes were ground breakingly fast in their day. They never had the cache' of the Kawasaki GPZ, but they had a 16 valve head when the other small fours all made do with 8 valves.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. Very very helpful. Can't wait to get this bad bear road ready.

Comment

Oil & Filter Change.
                    Brake fluid flush (at minimum) you may want to clean out the calipers & fit new seals
                    Chain check, adjust, oil, replace if necessary.
                    Go over charging system, check stator (static test) and replace regulator for SH775 type
                    Adjust the valves (easy on these are there are bolts that can be adjusted).
                    New battery....
                    Flush the fuel tank, make sure the petcock operates properly.
                    Clean & rebuild your carbs and replace O rings (there is a tutorial here).
                    Replace Carb Boot O rings
                    Clean/replace the air filter & make sure airbox is sealed.
                    Flush the fuel tank, make sure the petcock operates properly.
                    Clean & rebuild your carbs and replace O rings (there is a tutorial here).
                    Replace Carb Boot O rings

Post some pictures here....

Welcome
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Went and picked the bike up today, had my uncle look it over with me. It looks great for a 34 year old bike to be honest. Found out it only has 15k miles on it, not bad. Started up on the first try, which I was happy with considering it sat untouched for 6+ months in the cold. It doesn't leak fuel like the previous owner said, however it does puke oil out from under the valve cover. The rear tire also wasn't in very good shape, and it needs new rear brake pads. Other than that it seems stellar. In my excitement, I forgot to take pictures. I ordered new tires, gasket, and brake pads, hopefully they are in by next Sunday so I can get this thing on the road.

P.S. - Speedometer doesn't work, and I didn't really find anything on the subject. Is there a common reason the speedos don't work on these?

Comment

Spedo not working? check the cable, don't forget to take apart the gas cap and clean the vent. Your E is a peppy little bike, enjoy.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Welcome!

Hi, dbd! Welcome to GSR, and welcome to biking! I have been riding for 8 years or so and I still describe it "like kissing for the first time, every time." My first bike was a GS just because that's what I liked on C-list that week. I found my way to this forum and I'm on my fourth GS now.

New to biking? I strongly urge you to take it seriously. Take the state MSF class. Take it twice. Don't rely on a friend, relative, or yourself to teach you to ride. Get this book and read it twice. Get yourself a new full-face helmet and wear it every time you ride. I advocate armor, too, and brightly-colored stuff, at that.

And post pictures I have a Flickr account for linking pictures.
                          Keep coming back!

What's your name? I'm Kerry. I grew up in LaGrange, IL, btw, and like anybody from the 'burbs I think everybody in Illinois is from the 'burbs
                          Last edited by kerrfunk; 05-01-2017, 10:10 AM.
                          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

remove and inspect speedo cable
                            it may be broken is not lube it.
                            The oil gusher may br from the tach drive if you bike has a mechanical tach. this is on the right front of cam cover

did you change the oil? if the oil is coming out thin it may be heavily diluted with gas from previous adventures.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'll check the speedo cable. It honestly looks like there is way too much silicone on the valve cover gasket, which would be causing the leak. I'm going to replace the gasket and reseal it next weekend. Hopefully I remember to get pictures this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X