Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to motorcycles, just inherited an '83 GS550E. Few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know anything yet about working on these bikes as I"m new to ownership myself, but welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by dbd6604 View Post
      I'll check the speedo cable. It honestly looks like there is way too much silicone on the valve cover gasket, which would be causing the leak. I'm going to replace the gasket and reseal it next weekend. Hopefully I remember to get pictures this time.
      Silicone??? ICK! Here is sadly what likely is going on.
      PO stripped cam cover bolt holes then tried to make up for any looseness with a slathering of sealant.
      Is it pretty blue or orange. I find the orange more fun to wash out of the sump.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ordered myself some riding gear and got signed up for the MSF course on May 20th and 21st. Never been so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by dbd6604 View Post
          Ordered myself some riding gear and got signed up for the MSF course on May 20th and 21st. Never been so excited.
          Oh yay, I'm glad. When I lived in PA you had to have your mcycle permit before you could sign up for the MSF course... is that the case for you? I bought my bike, then I took the 20-question written test at the DMV and I got my permit, which allowed me to ride on the road! and then I signed up for the MSF.
          Good for you.
          "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Oh yay, I'm glad. When I lived in PA you had to have your mcycle permit before you could sign up for the MSF course... is that the case for you? I bought my bike, then I took the 20-question written test at the DMV and I got my permit, which allowed me to ride on the road! and then I signed up for the MSF.
            Good for you.
            As far as I know, no, you don't have to get a permit before you can sign up for the MSF course. I signed up over the phone and she never said anything about it. There was nothing about it on the website either, so I think I'm good.

PS - Just looked around at insurance. $99 for the whole year? That's incredibly cheap. Is that right? lol
            Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2017, 01:39 AM.

Comment

You must have your permit before the start of the class.

It is a great course and you'll learn a lot. Good on you for signing up
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I spoke directly with the guy who runs the class and he said the only thing that is needed is a valid driver's license. Must be different from state to state.

Over the weekend, I got some new tires on the bike, fixed the rear brake (it wasn't working at all, just needed to flush and bleed the brake. The fluid in there was NASTY.) and put on new pads, and checked out the speedo issue and ending up finding out that it's the gear assemble box on the front wheel that's broken, so I ordered a new one. The front brakes are hanging up a bit, I'm pretty sure they just need to be bled really well like the rears (fingers crossed). After that, the only thing left to fix is the leaky valve cover gasket.

Oh yeah, I forgot to take pictures again

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

It is a great course and you'll learn a lot. Good on you for signing up
                  I didn't have to have a motorcycle permit when I took the MSF Basic course here. Of course, that was back in the late 90's. It may have changed since then, or perhaps state laws vary.

Yes, it's good that dbd6604 signed up. I had been riding for years when I took it, and still learned some things.

Comment

I rode dirt bikes a lot when I was younger, but I'm 28 now and it's been a while, so I figured why not take the MSF course? The insurance discount will be nice too.

Comment

I had my MSF class last weekend, and it was an absolute blast. As for the bike, I'm still waiting on the title to come through, but other than that the bike is coming along nicely. Resealed the valve cover (holy crap there was way too much silicone on there), and it no longer leaks. There is an oil leak coming from a bolt on the left/bottom side of the crankcase, which appears to be caused by a missing washer and/or lock washer, those washers should be here in a few days. Went to take the cover off the front brake master cylinder, and one of the screws refused to come out, so it will have to be drilled out. New screws, plate, and diaphragm for the master cylinder should also be here in a few days. Oh yeah, ended up buying some OEM mirrors so, you know, the bike is actually street legal.

Can't wait to get this thing sorted out and get on the road. I'm getting antsy.

Comment

Working...
                      X