Thoughts on exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on exhaust?

So the time is near to fab up some new pipes for the 300. It's been K&N podded and jetted and halfway piped already using the factory headpipes. Well they're getting rusty, so I wanna have new ones ready for it before the ones on it rust through. I'll be keeping the 17" Dime City megaphones on it. For now.

I found a combo tube with 90° and 180° bends in it and plenty of straight length to make an entire pipe from one piece. I wanna go 1 5/8" all the way to the muffler, which is almost the max OD of the exhaust gasket. Would the bigger pipe diameter make the bike less brappy and more throaty? Or just waayyy too friggin loud?

I'm also considering stepping up to 1 3/4" after the final bend to eliminate the need for those adapter rings.

I am not going to preach on the evil of loud exhausts, I am only going to say that I have never heard a small twin make ANY pleasant sound with anything louder than stock exhaust.

I have no idea how brappy or throaty it might be, but I can pretty much guarantee that very few people will appreciate it.

Now, a four-cylinder bike has a certain "note" to it, but not a loud twin.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's pretty brappy as is. I'm thinking due to the tiny header pipe - the higher velocity makes more of a snappy note. That's why I'm going with bigger pipe, to try and knock down that snap... it actually sounds pretty freaking wicked other than that.

Comment

I'm less concerned with noise than Steve is, but I think you would be better off making the header and mid pipe to suit the engine specifications and then use the muffler canister size/style to get the sound you want. Have a look at this exhaust calculator to get yourself into the correct ballpark for what your engine wants for correct performance: http://www.timeinthegarage.com/exhaust-calculator/

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Thanks for that link! I need to dig up cam specs, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric View Post
            Thanks for that link! I need to dig up cam specs, now.
            Mine are given in the service manual. If you don't have one, download it from here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
            X