1983 750e 16 valve engine cam chain timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 750e 16 valve engine cam chain timing

In a moment of absent mindedness, I rotated the engine to do a valve adjustment while the cam chain tensioner was out and the cam chain jumped two teeth on the intake cam sprocket before I realized what was gong on.

My approach to correct the problem is to lift and pull the cam chain up and rearward while rotating the sprocket and cam two teeth forward. It won't budge and I assume it is because of the tension from the 8 valve springs engaging the cam. The question is; if I release the tension via the screw adjusters will I be able to rotate the cam? Suggestions?
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

I did the same thing a month ago, except my chain jumped a tooth on the crank sprocket. After messing around with it a bit trying to line everything back up, I pulled the cam caps and rotated the cam - doesn't take long. I
    noticed when the arrow on the sprocket didn't line up with the gasket surface at tdc.
    -1980 GS1100 LT
    -1975 Honda cb750K
    -1972 Honda cl175
    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
      I did the same thing a month ago, except my chain jumped a tooth on the crank sprocket. After messing around with it a bit trying to line everything back up, I pulled the cam caps and rotated the cam - doesn't take long. I
      noticed when the arrow on the sprocket didn't line up with the gasket surface at tdc.
      Thanks for commenting. That's what I did on a 450 I owned a few years ago and it worked fine. I am a bit intimidated by the adjusters and the oil piping this generation of 750 has and was hoping I could not pull the cam. I'll wait and see if someone else can pull a magic wand out of their tool box for me. I'll probably have to do just as you suggest. I just need to wrap my mind around the procedure first. Cheers!
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
      X