Rotten 1980 GSX1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotten 1980 GSX1100

This isn't a restoration, but essentially a pull-apart-clean-repair-and-replace-where-necessary.

I'm sure updates will be very sporadic, as I tend to divide my time proportionate to my current interest level - and my current interests are many and varied.

Being the first bike I've pulled apart, the second bike I've owned (over a one year period..), and above my level of mechanical knowledge (you turn the fuel cap anti-clockwise to open the fuel tank), I'll request that you (yes, -you-) maintain a level of patience with me reserved for people who still count their age in months rather than years.

The first thing I've done is pull apart the instrument cluster. The check panel was sloshing water about, and the clear plastic is looking fairly worn -- I was really hoping the clear plastic was flat so that I could have some replacements cut from acrylic or UV stable polycarbonate sheet, but, blarg, it's a formed shape. Was also hoping it might be acrylic, and that I could use something along the lines of acetone to seep in to the cracks and have them fuse together (not even sure that works/would be an improvement) -- but having put acetone on the plastic and it not reacting, I'll assume it's something else.

The only real issue I encountered when it was all torn down is that the tachometer catches slightly around the 3,000 RPM mark. It looks as though the shaft holding the needle at one end and a bell at the other is slopping around at the only support point and causing the bell to drag over whatever it is it surrounds.

Pulling out the panel illumination lights I did tear the rubber seals -- and will need to eventually find a replacement. The orange housing immediately surrounding the most central bulb has melted slightly, so I am hoping to replace all the globes with LEDs which I am yet to look for.

When it was all apart I cleaned the parts in warm soapy water, dried them off, and then used a plastic trim cleaner to make everything shiny. On the clear plastic I used brasso to try and remove minor surface imperfections which hopefully hasn't removed any kind of UV stabilising coating that could have still been clinging on.

So yeah, that's it. First thing done! Obviously has been opened before with the missing and mis-matched screws and written markings on the orange housing.

Nicely done. It's always encouraging to start with something and getting it done so you can check it off the list and move on to the next task.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Ill be following along simply based on your thread title.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice, it looks 100% better. What does the rest of the bike look like?
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
        X