Intermittent electrical issue, 81 GS1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent electrical issue, 81 GS1100e

For awhile my GS1100 would have some trouble starting when hot, sounding like the starter motor was going bad.

But the other day I went to start the bike, and as soon as I hit the ignition, all the lights/power went out. I turned the key a few times, and got no response...power all stayed off. When I went back the next day, the lights did come on when I turned the key, but went off again when I hit the ignition. I tested the battery and it's fine. I checked the starter relay with a multimeter and would get power there when the key was Off, but no power when the key was On. I checked all my connections and everything seems fine.

I went again today to see what would happen, and the lights actually stayed on when I hit the ignition for the first 10 or so tries, but finally did go out again. I'm having a tough time figuring this out since the issue is not very consistent. Am I overlooking a short circuit somehow? I'm confused as to how the power will come on if I leave the bike alone over night. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Originally posted by obxGS1100 View Post
    For awhile my GS1100 would have some trouble starting when hot, sounding like the starter motor was going bad.

But the other day I went to start the bike, and as soon as I hit the ignition, all the lights/power went out. I turned the key a few times, and got no response...power all stayed off. When I went back the next day, the lights did come on when I turned the key, but went off again when I hit the ignition. I tested the battery and it's fine. I checked the starter relay with a multimeter and would get power there when the key was Off, but no power when the key was On. I checked all my connections and everything seems fine.

I went again today to see what would happen, and the lights actually stayed on when I hit the ignition for the first 10 or so tries, but finally did go out again. I'm having a tough time figuring this out since the issue is not very consistent. Am I overlooking a short circuit somehow? I'm confused as to how the power will come on if I leave the bike alone over night. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Have your battery load tested. Even if it shows 12+ volts it may not be able run a starter. The battery will recover on it's own some and show enough voltage, but the amperage isn't there. Have you put your voltmeter on the battery and checked out the reading while trying to start it. I guessing it drops down quickly from 12V to 5 or 6V, then bounces back up to around 10, after releasing the button.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Battery was reading at 11.9 when I had last tried, so I gave it a full charge on a trickle charger overnight and the bike started right up....but I'm still confused as to why power would completely shut off when I hit the ignition before? Curious why an underpowered battery result in that?

Comment

An underpowered battery will do that because it's ... (wait for it) ... underpowered.

It's like you saying you can breathe just fine, but when asked to do a 10-second 100-yard dash, you have a bit of difficulty catching your breath.

Eventually you will recover and breathe somewhat normally, but right after the effort, there is nothing in reserve to handle the lights, etc.

It's time for a new battery. Not just a charged battery, a NEW one.

And, while you are at it, look for a sealed AGM battery. That is a construction type, not a brand name.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If your bike was previously having trouble starting when it was hot you might also want to check your charging system is working properly.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Electrical issues had been maddening with my 850 for months. Late last year I had a battery that seemed to hold a charge and would crank strong right off the charger but not more than once. It tested at 12 volts so I thought it was ok, but at the retailer where it came from, batteries plus, they tested it under a load and it was shot. With the new battery the bike ran ok for a while, or so I thought, but again the battery went bad. A couple of symptoms were missed on my part which were inconsistent sort of shuddering idle, dimming lights when blinkers were on. The main thing I neglected to perform was a charging test. This would have revealed that the Reg/ Rec unit was over charging the battery and shortening the life of it, also sending inconsistent amounts of current through the ignition and entire electrical system. After changing the stock R/R out with a SH-775 and rewiring it directly from the stator abandoning the headlight loop, and cleaning the connections etc, the bike charges like it should. It also starts easier and runs smoother with a more consistent idle.

Hope that helps some.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

You could have done a "quick test"

Comment

Working...
              X