Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should my valves and cylinders look like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should my valves and cylinders look like this?

I thought a couple of the exhaust valves looked a little weird. Am I just being paranoid?

I just got the cylinders off and started degreasing the outside when I noticed that a couple of the cylinders look a little more than cruddy.

Same one, different angle:

One of the other cylinders:
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2017, 02:06 AM.

Looks like it is time for a rebuild. No they should not look like that. Looks like a bore job , over sized pistons and rings , and new valves and seats are probably in order looking at those valves. Might be cheaper to find a good used head , and cylinders with pistons. Then just hone the cylinders and throw some new rings in it, hand lap valves and replace valve seals
    Last edited by hjfisk; 04-25-2017, 06:47 AM.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Looks like that engine sat for a while and had some water in the cylinders.

As for the valves, any chance you checked clearances before taking things apart?
      I would guess clearance was a bit less than minimum on the cruddy valves.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did not check the valve clearances.

I do have another head and cylinder set. There's probably no chance of pulling the valves out of the other head and using it with his head, is there? The problem with the other head is that it has 6 exhaust bolts stuck in it. Machine shop here wants $60 an hour to do it. I already had them do that with this head for one bolt.

The other shoulder set doesn't have that crudiness inside. It's just pretty dirty on the outside.. also the other valves don't have that mushroom look to them.

Comment

If the heads are for the same engine, then there is no reason you couldn't pull the valves and reuse them in the other head. You'll have to lap the valves at the very least. The lapping pattern will tell you if you need to do anything else.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I pulled the valves out of the second head this evening and they look great. I also pulled the cylinders and pistons. I have the pistons soaking in some chem dip.

One of the cylinders on the second head has something similar, though nowhere near as bad. The first set, shown above, were pretty bad, you could feel the corrosion.

This is the only cylinder with the discoloration, and it is not bad enough that you can feel it.

What do you think?

Comment

Working...
            X