Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS1100ED with 29mm big-end, convert to lighter 14-amp charging system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100ED with 29mm big-end, convert to lighter 14-amp charging system?

A question for the Suzuki GS engine gurus out there....has anyone ever fitted the lighter 14amp GS750E 16v charging system to an 83 GS1100ED like the 1000s Katana's used? Mine is the original 83 engine and has the 29mm big-end crank and so far as I know, there is no off-the-shelf charge rotor to do this, as the Katanas retained the 25mm small-end crank for the 1983 model year. Being a machinist, drilling the rivets out of a 29mm charge rotor to mate the hub to the smaller magnet housing does not scare me but i know there are several different rotors that could potentially be used that have varying rivet patterns and possibly hub registers, so I would appreciate the input of anyone who has taken the trouble to do this. This rotor/stator size was used on a ton of smaller displacement Suzukis including the GS500e thru 2000. Also, I am assuming that the GS750E 16v stator cover can be used?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM.

Why would you want to convert to a lighter 14 amp system? Everyone else is looking for a higher output system.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you're looking for a lighter rotor and are a capable machinist. have a look at very late alternators.
      The current GSXR1000 version is I think common across the GSXR range for several years back. Higher output and very much lighter.
      An adaptor hub and probably an adaptor to mount the stator would be needed but it's a lot better than messing about with ancient stators...

Comment

Bill, for the very same reason hot rodders "chopped" flywheels back in the day and aluminum flywheels are popular for lightweight race cars, throttle response and reduced torsional "whip" in the crank. Bob Bertaut thinks a lot of this mod and Suzuki obviously did too, in the case of the GS1000S Katanas. The GSXR's, which Greg mentioned, have large lightening holes poked into them. Besides, 750's and 850's get along fine with 14 amps. It's a standard bike, not a GK.

Greg, yes, I was eyballing some of those. I will take a closer look and also at some Yammys an Kaws as well...
        Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2017, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garagepunkfan View Post
          Bob Bertaut thinks a lot of this mod
          that's exactly where i got my idea from ! (http://www.bertaut.com/gsengine2.html)
          Looking into this mod for my GS1000, but have no solid info yet.
          Would be great it there were a plug and play option, or someone that knows
          what parts to source and how to modify.
          If anyone knows... please let me know ?
          OP hope you don't mind me hitching a ride on your thread !
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
          X