1977 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 gs750

As in the title i have a 1977 GS750 it sat for a while i replaced the plugs pulled the tank and petcock and airbox...cleaned all and i cannot get the bike to start....It will run off starter fluid and also when i try to start it it will drain fuel from the 2nd carb drain under the bike any ideas? Trying to get it back running for my dads birthday only has 2000 miles on it

Hmmm, that's about 50 miles a year. It's going to take a lot to get that one going.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Go here, start with VM carb rebuild guide, read, read, read:
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Well i can get the bike to run if i keep the throttle slightly open but seems only to be running on 3 cyclinders

Comment

A rebuild is no big deal...i've been building racing engines for quite some time..

Comment

Do a compression test before anything else. Then you know if it is worth going further on getting it running. Have you pulled the plugs since it started? That may tell you if it is only running on 3 cylinders, and if they are getting fuel?????
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Cold cylinder could be plugged carb passage, or need to sync the carbs. Try tapping the bowl of the leaking carb with a screwdriver handle to get the needle to seat. Even with so few miles compression could be bad if rings are stuck.
              Regards,
              Jason

Comment

Yes i'bve pulled the plugs i used an IR thermometer on the header seems cylinder 2 is not firing properly i think the carbs are still somewhat gummed up. I'm gonna dick with it tomorrow if all else fails i'm gonna pull the motor and rebuild. I'm gonna pull the tops off the carbs tomorrow and pull the tank again.....it seems like the petcock doesn't let fuel flow properly cause the bowls will get too full and then it will dump fuel on the ground directly under the bike. But i now have it running without starter fluid as long as i hold the throttle partly open.

Comment

Pulling the tops off the carbs will only show you the throttle linkage

You need to follow the carb tutorial and the Top 10 newbie mistakes.
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

You're going to pull the motor and do a rebuild before you try and find out what the problem is???
                    Rob
                    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I don't think you need to take the motor apart. The way you describe it, cleaning the carbs ought to do it.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                      X