Fixing up a 1982 GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing up a 1982 GS650GL

Hey everyone, I'm new here. As the title says, I picked up a GS650GL on Easter Sunday that I'm working on. It was running, but needed some work. I've always liked older bikes and I was up for a project.

This forum is an awesome resource to have, I've spent a lot of time looking through threads so far, as well as reading through BassCliff's website. I'm loving how welcoming and informational this place is, figured I might as well join up. This is my second bike I've owned, I rode a Hondamatic around town for 5 years and just sold it to fund this purchase.

I bought my GS for $450 and it needed carb work, a new rear tire, and a new battery. I ordered the tire and battery and have them already. I've also placed an order through Mr. Robert Barr for o-rings and fasteners for the intake and carbs, in addition to new bowl gaskets and a few other assorted odds and ends. This weekend I should get the carbs rebuilt and start looking at the valves. Otherwise everything appears in great running shape, and I can't wait to get it out on the road!

Thanks for having me here

Welcome and good luck! How about some pics of the bike?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

01515_AbqPo2Y8LT_600x450.jpg
      Here she is! This is the only one I have so far, I took it quick when I bought the bike. I've cleaned it up some since then, the chrome is all looking fantastic. As far as I can tell everything is stock on it except the highway pegs. 21k miles on the clock.

Comment

Hi! Very nice! A real deal! good for you!

Comment

That doesn't by chance have a dent on the right side of the tank, does it?

One of our members sold one that looked a lot like that, but it might have been an '83.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's the same color scheme I have on my '82 1100.
            Very nice bike and a good deal. Welcome to the forum and your going to enjoy that bike.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I restored a 1981 GS650GL in 2014 - you can check my blog to see how it went. Maybe something I did will help you along the way. Without the help of the wonderful folks on this forum I never would have been able to restore the bike successfully. There is a goldmine of knowledge here!

Cheers, and welcome!
              K

Comment

I love my 83 650GL, only complaint I have is it doesn't hold a lotta gas, gotta stop every 100 miles. Welcome!
                "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Have a good look at rear wheel drive spline- 82's had softies that got chewed up. Make sure you lube spline well - I use hightemp lithium grease, but basscliff's site has more specific ones.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oooh yeah. I had to replace the drive spline hub on my 82 1100GL.
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Yeah, I had to replace the hub on my 82 850L. 82 was a bad year for those, no matter the size of the bike. They all used the same hub.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks for all replies, I appreciate it. I'm hoping to take the rear wheel off to get my new tire mounted this weekend, I'll make sure to look over the drive system, change the hypoid oil, and take a look at the splines while I'm at it.

Brent

Comment

Oshkosh, b'gosh! Welcome to the GSR.

Looks like you've got a great starting point.

They'll be the dominant model on the forum at the rate 650s have been popping up over the last year or so.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                          X