Intertube tire bead not lining up evenly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intertube tire bead not lining up evenly

I got my tire on the rim, put my innertube in, and popped the other half of the tire on the rim. However when i fill the tire up with air the tire sits on the rim unevenly. there is a ring around the outside of the tire where the rim should come up to it, however there is always a part of the tire that is "sucked"into the rim. the line is just below the rim, and it is uneven. Ive inflated and deflated the tire about 20 times, i put soapy water along the bead, i greased it up with vaseline, ive stepped on the tire to pop the bead out and reseat it. all ive managed to do is move the part of the bead that sits too far below the rim around. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

You probably need more air pressure to pop the bead on.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Yup, crank up the air pressure to seat the tire bead and then adjust pressure for riding.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

How much pressure are you using? As others have already mentioned, you probably need more.

With the lubrication you have mentioned (please avoid Vaseline), you should be seating at no more than 40 psi, but a short burst above that would not hurt.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you have the valve stem in too? When I inflate to set the bead I give it a blast with out the valve stem and the once both sides are set I immediately deflate... Once completely deflated install the valve stem and inflate to riding pressure.

My 2 cents. I've been up to 80 psi before to see a tire make bead. On a tubeless radial though...
          Last edited by Jedz123; 04-26-2017, 07:08 AM.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

i pumped it up to 55 psi, do i need more?

Comment

Originally posted by coreyspare View Post
              i pumped it up to 55 psi, do i need more?
              With lubrication AND A CLEAN RIM, you should have seated with 55 psi.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              Do you have the valve stem in too? When I inflate to set the bead I give it a blast with out the valve stem and the once both sides are set I immediately deflate... Once completely deflated install the valve stem and inflate to riding pressure.
              I need to find an inflation tool that will allow that. The one I have relies on the valve stem to push a core in the middle of the inflator that then allows air flow. No valve stem, no air flow.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The tire is lubed and the rim isn't the cleanest thing, but I wouldn't call it dirty. I had it up to 55psi, bounced it hit it with a hammer, I even went as far as putting the tire on the ground and stepping on one half and my wife stepped in the other half and filled it up with air, but it's still on there uneven.

Comment

I've had this myself, especially putting a tubeless tire on a rim that is not tubeless and therefore has an innertube. The innertube may be an explanation or, it is that the tubeless tire is just a very tight fit. There are differences in how different brands go on different rims, (it seems Shinkos can be tight on suzuki 19'' wheel rims? etc.)..anyways. keep trying. It'll go on eventually.

It can be worth the $$ take the wheel to a mc shop if it's a ggod shop, they've seen a lot more tire fitments than you ever will.

otherwise maybe I can add to the tips above,(high pressure, no valve-I made a hose without any valves except a single handle-type valve(the proper name escapes me ) Once seated, you deflate and put the tire valve back in,pump up, as Jedz is saying.

"proper" beading lubricant. It really is better than any (hand-soap!) soapy water I could stir up...smearing the innertube as well might help if it doesn't work when just applied at the lowest bead but clean all the other crap out first and let it all dry before using a little bit of lubricant....
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I finally got it. I mounted the tire to the bike, filled it up to about 70 ish psi, my tire gauge only goes to 60 psi so the 70 is a guess. I then rode the bike around the circular driveway about 10-12 times, and checked it was all even.

Comment

+1 on using proper lubricant.
                      Warming up the tire a bit can help too. A spacer heater that has a fan can really help with difficult tires.

Comment

heyy! good news coreyspare! 70# yikes! (but so many gauges are inaccurate - I might have 1 that is good... My example, like yours-innertube in tubeless- need what appeared to be 55# that I ran from an old car tire pumped up ( for lack of proper air tank) and blown direct as I described but the gauge was crapola so I'll never really know)

Ps: the electric heater is something I'll take note of.Hadn't thought of cold rubber!

Comment

I've had the same issues trying to seat the bead straight, using dish soap and over inflating the tire trying to get it to seat, it's all about the lube and yes a warm tire helps a lot.

Maybe it's time to get some tire install lube, it's relatively inexpensive and works so much better than soapy water.

my 2 pennies.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I had rear pirelli sport demon do this exact thing to me. Tried 2diferent sizes. Same problem. Switched to Avon, problem solved. Was using wire wheels
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

My old timer dealer told me he can't count the times it's taken 80#. I've come close to that as well. Safe? I don't know, but he's old and so am I, we're still here, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X