1978 GS750 running too rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 running too rich

Bought another Suzuki, it had been sitting for four years. So I adjusted the points, new plugs, fresh gas and it drove beautifully on a 100 mile trip. 2 weeks later the plugs are fouled. Just replaced them along with a carb cleaning, and it is running great!! However I am doubtful it will last, because despite a new petcock and float level adjustment it still leaks gas out of the over flow tubes consistently. I will take a look at what setting the needle is at as well as look into replacing the needle valves. My question is do I need to adjust the screw going into the bowl of the carb, it appears to be a mixture screw of some sort. In my manual it stated their was a jet you weren't supposed to mess with. I'm wondering if backing out this screw more will help with my bike running too rich?

If gas is leaking out the overflow tubes your float needles must be sticking. Have you done a proper carb clean? The screw you're talking about is your fuel mixture screw and you need to adjust it as well as the air mixture screw on the side of each carb. Read up about them on here or the carb rebuild tutorial. Your stock setting should be approximately 5/8 this out on the fuel and double that on the air. These settings definitely effect your bike being rich or lean. Read up on them before playing around with them.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
    X