Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bs34 cv carb slides getting stuck at top

Hi

I just fitted new diaphragms to the carbs on my gs1000g. I tested them by pushing the slide all the way up and seeing how the slide came down. The all seemed to return reasonably slowly but one of them seems to get stuck at the top, from 3/4 to the bottom it seems to be ok though. Any ideas what could be causing this, weak spring? Maybe with the new diaphragms stronger springs are needed.

Cheers

Dave

What diaphragms did you install?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Try switching the suspect slide to another carb and see if it it sticks in that one.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

They are these ones, they don't require cutting of the plastic rings but they are thicker than the previous ones, but maybe that is a good thing, the others were really weak

Mikuni BS34 Carburetor. It does not include anything else than that. All the pictures are real and you get exactly what you see. The part numbers show that these diaphragms have been used on the following models.

I re-installed the suspect diaphragm and now it is better, its the same as the others, slow to return from the top, but it goes go down now.

Comment

The slide on its own slides down fine, I think it is just the new diaphragms are thicker and therefore less elastic than the old ones, probably they will get better with time. It seems anyway that the slides dont reach the top in normal usage as shown in this video.

View of carbs 3-4 in action on my 81SH WITHOUT air filters to show the action of the vacuum slides under varying amounts of load/throttle!

Just one question, is it just the spring that pushes the slide back down, or is it also helped by pressure at all, just that the slow speed that the carb slides return (eg. when released using a finger) would make the engine not back off the power immediately?

Comment

The underside of diaphragm "sees" the airbox pressure at all times thru that beanie shaped slot- atmospheric at idle ,but drops off as carbs start swallowing lots of air. Acts as a "cushion" to sudden changes in slide movement
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I swapped the slides and spring around a bit and they are all falling fine now. This is just the kind of thing that will drive you mad when balancing the carbs, glad I sorted it out now

Comment

Originally posted by DaveWatts View Post
                Just one question, is it just the spring that pushes the slide back down, or is it also helped by pressure at all, just that the slow speed that the carb slides return (eg. when released using a finger) would make the engine not back off the power immediately?
                Gravity is usually available to help the spring. And there will be no problem with the engine backing off the power, because it's not the slide that is controlling the power, it's the butterfly just downstream of it. When that butterfly closes, the engine is getting NO air, so power stops NOW.

I thought the video was going to be of your bike, but that is not what I saw.

I swapped the slides and spring around a bit and they are all falling fine now. This is just the kind of thing that will drive you mad when balancing the carbs, glad I sorted it out now
                How would this drive you mad when balancing the carbs? How would you notice? You would usually have the airbox or the pods installed, so could not see the slides.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Gravity is usually available to help the spring. And there will be no problem with the engine backing off the power, because it's not the slide that is controlling the power, it's the butterfly just downstream of it. When that butterfly closes, the engine is getting NO air, so power stops NOW.

I thought the video was going to be of your bike, but that is not what I saw.

How would this drive you mad when balancing the carbs? How would you notice? You would usually have the airbox or the pods installed, so could not see the slides.

Your right, I didn't think about the butterfly. But doesn't the butterfly say 'now stop giving me power', but the slide is slow and when it opens again it has too much fuel for the butterfly, they have to sync right?

About the balancing - You would try to balance the carbs but fail to do it because there was another problem namely the slide not rising the same as the others no matter how much the linkage is adjusted, you wouldn't see this with the airbox on which would make it even more difficult to diagnose.

I hope to take a better picture of my bike when it stops raining, its the end of April and its still cold and wet!

Comment

But doesn't the butterfly say 'now stop giving me power', but the slide is slow and when it opens again it has too much fuel for the butterfly, they have to sync right?
                    There is no mechanical synchronization between the butterfly and the slide. The slide lifts because of the vacuum caused in the venturi. The vacuum is caused because of air flowing, the air flowing is caused by the open butterflies. If the slide sticks or there is a hole in the diaphragm, it will not respond as quickly, but the slide never "has too much fuel for the butterfly".

You would try to balance the carbs but fail to do it because there was another problem namely the slide not rising the same as the others no matter how much the linkage is adjusted, you wouldn't see this with the airbox on which would make it even more difficult to diagnose.
                    At the engine speeds and throttle settings used during a carb sync, you would not even see the slides move.
                    They don't open until there is sufficient airflow under them, that does not happen until at least half throttle. You might see them lift a bit when blipping the throttle, but not during a normal carb sync procedure.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Just to clear up (I shouldn't post under the influence of a cold), I don't mean a mechanical synchronisation only that they work together (the physical connection being the movement of air & air pressure). I also shouldn't have said "slide not rising the same" but the synchronisation mercury raising the same and that with the airbox on you can't see the slides to see that the problem was really with the diaphragm not the throttle screw adjustment.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X