Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took my GS 650 on a motocross track...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if it was the same event, however there is a Harley getting decent air (on purpose) starting at about the 1:30 mark

Comment

That first (flat track video) was from last year... but the second video (with Dean jumping his Harley) was from the weekend! You can even see my bike around the 54 second mark.

Ellaspede will be releasing an official video soon. In the meantime... just search #dusthustle on Instagram and you'll see a bunch of photos.

Comment

True bikers having fun. What's not to love about that?
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

That is such a cool event. Thanks for posting!

I have to admit I've taken the 850 down some dirt roads but it felt WAY out of place. It has hard bags and a big fairing not to mention Dunlop D404's which are terrible in dirt. It felt kinda like swimming with your clothes on. It's still possible but it sure feels different, and requires a little more effort to get where you're going. I'll strip down a bit if I intend to do that again (not likely), much like your 650, Maxduff!

Edit; As a kid, I had a teacher who was a swimming instructor. Her own daughter almost drowned when she fell into the pool wearing her clothes. When asked what happened, as she was a very good swimmer, she said "I can't swim with clothes on". This resulted in her mom making that part of the lesson, having students jump in and swim fully clothed to see how it feels. This is a parallel to what happened to me in the dirt. I wasn't expecting how it felt, and needed a lifeguard to pull me out, ok pick up the bike but same difference, I was not prepared. Maybe some rider courses could offer training for unplanned dirt encounters on heavy bikes, other that total avoidance.
          Just a thought.
          Last edited by Burque73; 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I'm taking these out to show them to MY 650 and see if there's a discernible tail-wag or cringe! I don't suppose a shaft-drive would be as good as your chain (and I'll never do this anyways) but that is Very cool, maxduff!

Comment

Okay, that is eff'n cool.

I take my L model out to dirt roads once in a while but the weight, shyt suspension, and street tires force me to keep the speed and hooning down to a minimum.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Bajazuki went off road... back in it's street clothes now though! (The 1000 really was too big to manhandle that's for sure).

I have pics at the old Mill somewhere (somewhat infamous Baja spot) though you can't see it in these pics. It certainly could "roost" the sand....
                Last edited by salty_monk; 04-27-2017, 08:28 PM.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

One of my favorite pics of my bike pulled over on a gravel roadhttp://
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 04-27-2017, 09:13 PM.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Not to detract from the original post here, which I have great admiration for, but I've been thinking about my comparison of riding a GS in the dirt and swimming with clothes on and have realized something. If I'm going to play around the edge of the pool carrying suitcases and wearing a heavy trench coat I'd better watch my step.

Me thinks it best to stay away!
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

You might have had slightly better results if you had tires like Salty Monk did on his 1000.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

You might... but I wonder...knobbier tires might help get you a bit further before you fall down....Best to have a nice light bike that picks up easily and is not so pretty...

a little rain on a prairie grid road and you 're riding in deep grease . I imagine Burque's road would be one of these.....I recall camping one night and sure regretted the 5 mile trip back to pavement when it rained in the night! I pretty much was stuck until the sun dried it up. granted, different tires might have helped , IF they didn't make me cocky....this stuff sticks to tires and the fenders would have to be removed whatever.

Cross a bit of hardpan on a forest switch back and you are falling off (the reverse camber!) into the rocky valley below....

Take a detour up an Albertan grid with fresh , deep gravel and try to move over out of the safety of your wheel track towards the shoulder for a montrous grain truck bearing down....
                          Some may be good at it, but I have yet to see bikes on roads like these, 20 or 30 miles from town, let alone goldwings, gs 850s, or my bike again without trepidation.

I made myself one of these against the day I get stupider
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            You might... but I wonder...knobbier tires might help get you a bit further before you fall down....Best to have a nice light bike that picks up easily and is not so pretty...

a little rain on a prairie grid road and you 're riding in deep grease . I imagine Burque's road would be one of these.....I recall camping one night and sure regretted the 5 mile trip back to pavement when it rained in the night! I pretty much was stuck until the sun dried it up. granted, different tires might have helped , IF they didn't make me cocky....this stuff sticks to tires and the fenders would have to be removed whatever.

Cross a bit of hardpan on a forest switch back and you are falling off (the reverse camber!) into the rocky valley below....

Take a detour up an Albertan grid with fresh , deep gravel and try to move over out of the safety of your wheel track towards the shoulder for a montrous grain truck bearing down....
                            Some may be good at it, but I have yet to see bikes on roads like these, 20 or 30 miles from town, let alone goldwings, gs 850s, or my bike again without trepidation.

I made myself one of these against the day I get stupider
                            I meant to ask a couple of questions about this contraption.
                            Is it just a bipod and ratchet strap that hooks to the frame somewhere?
                            Does it tip toward the bike as it raises it?
                            Does it collapse for transport?
                            Is it available in black (just kidding)
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Burque73, go here ..there's another brand too. I think they are probably pretty good

Dustriders Motorcycle Hoist

I made one from a truck cinch and a bit of junk...a piece of pipe that sleeves together on wood dowels etc.. Heres some observations pertaining to MY primitive copy that generally you might consider applied on the "nice" one above:

-a single leg on apiece of thick plywood carried (for soft ground) Works ok for me.though not yet used in Action. merely some yard tests like the one in link. We meant to get a Goldwing to try too if he ever gets the guts to (gently) "drop it" ..... I like the a-frame of that one too but haven't noticed my single leg to be tippy if placed roughly inline to expected load...
                              You want to remove sidecovers and possibly protect tank from any strut if possible(our bikes are classics, right?
                              You want a deep drum on ratchet to hold plenty of tape. but NOT doubling the tape except at start of reeling helps a lot so use up the slack where tied to bike helps too
                              Tiny ratchets don't have long enough handles to wind em. Can be extended. but bigger quality ratchet is way better as to rigidity and leverage and snarls of tape
                              I don't use a hook...just tie to frame...clove hitch, bowline something possible to untie....fancy steel hooks are not as convenenient or gentle to bike,

Getting the bike up to 45 degrees can be enough- more is easier .

extra: Consider that wheels should also be anchored in some situation so they don't slide away. Our bikes easily lie very horizontal unlike some bikes on youtube....the first lift from +/- 90 degrees (as you know) is the hard one and can see you stuck half-lifted or merely pushing bike around on gravel as tires do not stick as fulcrum....
                              this tool also Useful for lifting front wheel for repair?, and as general use "come-along"..even the tape on reel is going to be multi purpose.
                              Mine fits in a bag underneath rear rack..about 16" by 8" by3" I think without leaving my computer and coffee!

Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-07-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much! I had never imagined such a device. I can see why you made one yourself, a little pricey! A friend whom I ride with occasionally asked me to make him a handle to hook in his frame somewhere for a lifting point as we can't use the seat. His KZ 1000 is a bit heavier than my 850 I'd imagine. My KLR wasn't nearly as hard to lift as this 850, but still required a grunt or two. That second video made me chuckle.

Thanks again Gorminrider!
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X