Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 Airbox and Carbs on a 1982 Suzuki GS450L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Airbox and Carbs on a 1982 Suzuki GS450L?

Hey guys,

So my Suzuki has a 1983 airbox and carbs on it (they were replacements). The actual bike itself is a 1982.

I just want to know if this is considered ok. I know the airbox is a bit of a pain (its real tight), but other than that, any issues this could cause? I'm in the process right now of fixing some air leaks, and while the carbs are out I figured I'd ask this.

Thanks!

Hopefully soon I'll get this bike running in good condition! I'm just going down the checklist of stuff to do, and this caught my eye.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2017, 12:21 AM.

I just compared pictures of the two boxes and noted several differences. Mounts are different, along with several other details.

I would think that it might be worth sourcing one, but be aware. I think it was the 450 that I heard you had to pull the engine to replace the airbox.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea, I do know about the mounting, and that is what tipped me off to not being the "stock" airbox. Turns out it is a stock airbox, just from 1983. However, once the battery is in, it is so tight I can't see the thing moving at all lol.

Also, you don't need to take the engine out. I already took this airbox out and put it back in! It's just a pain in the ass.

My question was more of, performance wise anything to worry about (I'd assume no since the carbs are also 1983, but I just wanted to make sure), or if there were any "gotchas" I should look out for.

I did take a quick look on Ebay for 1982 airboxes, but they look terrible....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I just compared pictures of the two boxes and noted several differences. Mounts are different, along with several other details.

I would think that it might be worth sourcing one, but be aware. I think it was the 450 that I heard you had to pull the engine to replace the airbox.

Hey Steve, is there any performance issues that would arise from using the 83 carbs and airbox? I'd assume no since they are both the same year, but I just want to make sure.

Comment

Jetting on the GS450 varied between a couple years/models. Check what jets are in your carbs and compare to here:

If the mounting points are off, I have a couple extra GS450 airboxes (1980 and 1981) you can have one for the shipping. If your interested I can take pictures tonight so you can compare to yours.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
          X