how does this honing look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how does this honing look?

First try at honing/deglazing the cylinder. Hows the angle look?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2017, 11:09 AM. Reason: added photos of the other cylinders

The first 2 look good but the last one looks like it might need a little more. It might be the angle but I still see glazed spots in the cylinder. Is that pitting in the last one?
    1982 GS750EZ
    1978 GS750EC

Comment

I am pretty sure that is some debris that I didn't get wiped out of the cylinder before the photo shoot. I will check a little later today and see.

Comment

The cross hatch angle should be around 45 degrees. I think your moving in and out too slow for the speed of your drill.

GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Gsrick is correct, hone it faster in and out with lubricant.

Comment

Do you think it will remove too much material if I run the hone through again at a lower rpm?

Comment

I did keep it pretty well lubricated, but I think it was running at about 800 rpm's, I think it needs to run at about 100-200 rpms for me to be able to keep up with the in and out motion.

Originally posted by Bortasqu View Post
              Gsrick is correct, hone it faster in and out with lubricant.

Comment

It depends on the grit of the stones, but if your using the ball type, it's not really removing much material, more scratching it.
                GSRick
                No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
                  I did keep it pretty well lubricated, but I think it was running at about 800 rpm's, I think it needs to run at about 100-200 rpms for me to be able to keep up with the in and out motion.
                  I should've elaborated more on my reply. I meant move it up and down faster with your hands. (Insert sex joke here.)

You're not grinding away the cylinder walls, you're just making sure the oil gets something to cling onto the walls so stuff gets lubricated.

Comment

Its one of those three finger jobs, 220 grit.
                    Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                    It depends on the grit of the stones, but if your using the ball type, it's not really removing much material, more scratching it.
                    I've re-honed the cylinders, there are couple vertical scratches lower than where the rings would ride and that did seem to be debris in the cylinder. I am degreasing the outside of the assembly now. I'll get some photos up in a few to get your take on the hatch angle.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

I don't know if you can really see the crosshatch in these photos, but I think it is a lot closer to the 45 degree range.

Comment

It won't burn oil.

Comment

Definitely looks closer to 45*. But I can still see the shallower angle grooves. How long did you run the hone each time?

I'm gonna do this soon so will be following your thread.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The shallower run was for about 30 seconds, 850 rpm, in and out at about once per second.

The second run was also about 30 seconds, same in/out speed, but about 100-200 rpm.

Hard to know the exact rpm. The drill is rated at 850. I practiced on the bad set of jugs with a 3000rpm drill and a junk hone. That was obviously way to fast and also why I opted for slower cordless drill.

The second run was done with about 1/4 pull on the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                            X