VM Carb Separation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb Separation

Hello everyone, I am having a bit of a tough time figuring out how to remove the (excuse incorrect terms) the throttle rod? It is the metal rod that runs through the top end of all the carbs and ensures the slide assemblies move together. I have loosened the bolts on all the slide assembles that connect to the rod, as well as the bolt in the center on the outside. I figure it "should" just slide out from there, however is not? Am I missing something?

I would really like to disassemble this properly and soak everything as these carbs are far from pretty and need a very good cleaning.

Sometimes it jams on the slide assemblies. Put some penetrating oil on all the holes it goes thru, wiggle it around, it'll loosen.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a go

Comment

There's also a little bracket held in by a single bolt on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          There's also a little bracket held in by a single bolt on the left hand side (as you sit on the bike).
          That is the "choke" rod, if I am remembering correctly.

Besides the four obvious connections to the carb slides, did you also loosen the one on the cable bracket?

Not sure that lubrication is the entire answer, sometimes there is enough slack in the brackets that they can cock sideways a bit, jamming the slide. Pull the rod to one side. If it stops, give a gentle pull on all the carb linkages in the other direction to make sure they are not binding up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            That is the "choke" rod, if I am remembering correctly.

No, it's the one that stops the throttle linkage rod form moving from side to side. Sits in between 1 and 2, bolted on the side of 2.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Gotcha.

I don't work on VM as much as the CV-types, but I just received a set for rebuild a couple days ago.
              Had not opened the box yet to refresh my memory.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Also the slide bellcrank bolts have to be removed, not just loosen.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yeah, you may not have loosened the rod bolts enough - they actually screw into the rod.
                  Last edited by allojohn; 04-27-2017, 05:51 PM.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

This...
                    Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    ...and that...

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Yeah, you may not have loosened the rod bolts enough - they actually screw into to rod.
                    ...plus this one...

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    (...) there is enough slack in the brackets that they can cock sideways a bit, jamming the slide. Pull the rod to one side. If it stops, give a gentle pull on all the carb linkages in the other direction to make sure they are not binding up.

...are things one often runs into when first digging into VM's, from my experience.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                    X