Getting close!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting close!

I bought this bike in the fall of '04 and got it street worthy during the winter of '04/'05 then put 30,000 plus trouble free miles on it over the next few seasons.
    A while back (5 years ago) I decided that it was worthy of a ground up.
    I PC'd the frame for free at work (yay Versatile Concepts in Vonda!), installed a 605 big bore kit, CB650 cam (much bumpier than stock), CB650 primary tensioner, new cam and primary chains, painted the cases black etc.
    Added fuel last weekend and did the initial start up and she fired right up and settled into a purr on all four.
    It sounds smoother than it has in all of the time that I've owned it.
    My 13 year old paint job is getting a bit dull; I may repaint it but it'll stay yellow!
    Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

That is a cool little bike!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks!
      It's been a long slog.

Comment

My former brother-in-law showed up at our house in Ohio on a brand new 550 Four in 1975, and it was amazing. My dad rode Triumphs, and the Honda was like a spaceship in comparison.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

My first bike was a Honda 550 SS. Very fun and reliable machines. Wish I still had it. The stupid kid that bought it from me changed the oil and forgot to put new oil back in before taking it for a ride. His daddy had the gall to try and get his son's money back. Bike still didn't have any oil in it when they came by. You should have seen the look on daddy's face when I pointed that out.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Poor machine.
            Defenseless against us hairless apes.

Comment

Glad to hear it's coming along. I only have one bike and a long term resto with its unforeseen snags are one of the main deterrents from me doing one.

Are you rocking out in the garage to 8 tracks??
              I have a similarly pieced together garage sound system sourced from stuff being thrown away by others, but its "only" 20-25 years old. Recent addition was a 5 CD changer and a head unit with 6 channel outputs. Found when walking the dog on trash night. 2 speakers sourced from another trash night (stereo was junk), and the other 4 from past owned cars. It actually sounds decent. Im somethimes shocked at what people throw away....
              Last edited by dorkburger; 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have a Pioneer HR-100 8 track deck. BOC and Hawkwind never sounded so good!
                I found the receiver at a garbage dump in the mid 90s sometime; one side of the output chip was blown.
                I replaced it, but after a few years of long and loud, that one also blew.
                She has a cooling fan in her now.

Comment

8 Tracks sound GREAT!
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    8 Tracks sound GREAT!
                    Ya right... If you happen to like listening to two tracks at the same time.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

A guy I used to work with used to own a stereo shop in the '80s.
                      I blind tested him with the HR-100 against an Akai GX265 open reel, both playing the same Rush song.
                      He was surprised (and a touch embarrassed) to find out that he'd picked the 8 track as the better sounding of the two.

Comment

Working...
                      X