Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Soooo,

Basically...the judge wanted you to have representation who would have a sidebar discussion with him so you'd worry yourself mad after getting your endorsement? That's quite the lesson there, Norm.

E
    I've always thought about it as, as long as someone got paid it didn't matter if it was the court or the attorney. Yes, it was a lesson learned. Thinking about it now, it was a cheap lesson learned.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

1) I don't take the bike if I'm late to work and I'll be stuck in thick LA traffic. I don't take the bike if I'm feeling rushed or anxious, and I don't take the bike if I know it's going to steadily rain. I use it just about any other time - to work, to the canyons, and for weekend trips.

2) 39

Edit: I just realized I answered this based on my new bike. I'm actually not 39.
      Just kidding.

If it were the GS, I'd say I use it for anything within ~100 mile radius. 200-250 mi is the longest I've done in a day and my legs and bum were wrecked.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

1) I went through six 4 wheeled death machines in my first 4 years of having a license, I spent less than 1000 on all of them, one i sold to upgrade, one i sold to make rent, most of them I wrenched on till no one would give me an inspection sticker. Around here frame rot is a typical end game for old cars and pick-ups. Thought I could break the cycle by spending more money on a truck. Silly me. that truck i spent a few grand on was worse than the cars i spent 500 on. I had to take it off the road immediately, leaving me with just my motorcycle.

I haven't owned a car since then. Just the motorcycle. It's my daily rider, I use it to get to work, go to the grocery store, anything and everything. funny thing is i haven't had to lift a finger to do anything but scheduled maintenance since i got it. The winters here in Massachusetts get cold and icy, so I've taken to riding south the last couple winters. I come back as soon as things thaw out enough to start putting crops in the ground.

2) 23 in Man years

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
          1) I don't take the bike if I'm late to work and I'll be stuck in thick LA traffic. I don't take the bike if I'm feeling rushed or anxious, and I don't take the bike if I know it's going to steadily rain. I use it just about any other time - to work, to the canyons, and for weekend trips.

2) 39

Edit: I just realized I answered this based on my new bike. I'm actually not 39.
          Just kidding.

If it were the GS, I'd say I use it for anything within ~100 mile radius. 200-250 mi is the longest I've done in a day and my legs and bum were wrecked.
          What kinda seat you got on your shaftie? When I put the correct seat on my "T", it made a big difference. It was more comfortable than the "L" seat it came with.

I did a 250+ mile ride in NM and I had no issues. I also installed Progressive shocks so that probably helped too.

Maybe you need shocks if you're still using the original ones.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish View Post
            1) I went through six 4 wheeled death machines in my first 4 years of having a license, I spent less than 1000 on all of them, one i sold to upgrade, one i sold to make rent, most of them I wrenched on till no one would give me an inspection sticker. Around here frame rot is a typical end game for old cars and pick-ups. Thought I could break the cycle by spending more money on a truck. Silly me. that truck i spent a few grand on was worse than the cars i spent 500 on. I had to take it off the road immediately, leaving me with just my motorcycle.

I haven't owned a car since then. Just the motorcycle. It's my daily rider, I use it to get to work, go to the grocery store, anything and everything. funny thing is i haven't had to lift a finger to do anything but scheduled maintenance since i got it. The winters here in Massachusetts get cold and icy, so I've taken to riding south the last couple winters. I come back as soon as things thaw out enough to start putting crops in the ground.

2) 23 in Man years
            I'm 682.5 months in baby years.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
              I'm 682.5 months in baby years.
              That's 8.125 in dog years
              Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

According to my younger son I'm a guggajamillion, and inexplicably older then his grandfather.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Good for you, daily riders !
                  ....That's me when I was 23 or so too. Cars suck up $ and isolate people from weather , each other...yer an Eco-Cowboy in a herd of road-blisters without even trying and having a good time too.( I don't feel this so much now, but back in the 70's I was pretty hot about it...) ...very few times where I needed a 4 wheeled vehicle...and could be(can be) generous with filling a pickup truck's tank etc when I do really need to borrow one...
                  I got so minimalist, I couldn't even have a bike but recently, I'm back..originally just to have ONE shiny, pretty, thing, to look at. A Bike is one of the prettiest Objects ever made.( Boats too but much more involved! beyond a dinghy...)

I still favour smaller bikes.They seem to suit everything I do hereabouts..medium hwys and town streets, multiple stops. ..400s seems to get most use....one bike maybe up to 750 (merely because these are the tiers for insurance$ here!) The 650 is pretty good too in all that and a slightly better long ride and on whatever passes for a SLAB ...but more awkward parking on ditch shoulders or backing up a slopes...
                  I have no "Dignatas" !....I will never be a Great Rider... a gawky dork in baggy textile suit slouched onto these so I keep my mirrors on the road behind!
                  63! lucky me to have these bikes .

Comment

I'm in my late 30's. I bought my 1980 GS850GL a few years back as my first bike, a bargain craigslist special. Fixed it up over the winter and rode it in the summer. That fall, I picked up a 1981 GS750E in near-mint condition. Rode it for a year and it was definitely a fantastic bike but I discovered that the beat-up L model was better suited to me so I sold the 750.

I mainly just ride to work and blast around town. I'll take it out for a spin with the wife on occasion. I have taken it up north a few times (a 3-hour ride) but those are definitely not as fun owing to the L's uncomfortable seat and tiny gas tank.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My brother got a bike when he was 17. He got in a bad accident w/in 6 months of getting it (not his fault) so that idea of my getting one went out the door for awhile. However I did get a GS550 when I turned 24 and had it for a few years until my son was born and then sold it. When my son decided to get a bike a few years ago, it was a good excuse to get back into it, and bought a GR650. I use it mostly for getting back and forth to work, but we've done some trips on it. I'll post a separate thread on the one we just finished.

I'm now 60. AND I'm not surprised at the general age of this group...

Comment

I'm now 60. AND I'm not surprised at the general age of this group...
                        Well me neither!
                        ... twas ever so: young folks pop in pick up what they need and take off again. They have too many things going on in their pants to stay still!

Comment

1) I have 3 machines, I use for play, commuting and long distance tours or away vacations. I ride on average 20K miles a year.
                          2) 33 This past January. I've been riding for 11 years now. Got into it with a Honda Passport C70, my first big motorcycle was a cheap older then me $500 GS750L.
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Well me neither!
                            ... twas ever so: young folks pop in pick up what they need and take off again. They have too many things going on in their pants to stay still!
                            Not always true!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

55 in August. I started out on a Honda 50 when I was 8. Bought my first street bike, a GS850L when I was 19. It was my only form of transportation for about 2 years...rode that thing winter and summer! Brrr! I've had some sort of street bike ever since. Bought my 1150 new, and started collecting and restoring bikes in 2004. I had a bunch at one time, but down to the 1150, the Cooley, and a 2002 GSF1200 Bandit now. My wife rides a VFR800 and just bought a new SV650. I ride to work sometimes if the weather is good, but mostly for pleasure. I don't like being cold anymore.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                                Not always true!
                                yes, but you have an attention span beyond your years... anyways I was just kidding sort of. It does look like mostly younger come in for a quick fix.

Comment

Working...
                                X