No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning 62 soon. Motorcycle licence since 18 (in our country you could get a licence at 16, but only for 50cc engine size).

Started out on a Yamaha YL1 (100cc twin cylinder) as a daily commuter to university for 4 years (even in the rain!). Moved on to a Honda 550 Supersport for a few years, and then bought my GS850G new in 1981.

At present it is used mainly for weekend breakfast runs (but only if the weather is good - meaning temperatures of more than 20°C; no rain and not much wind!)
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

1) Just got it running. I live a couple miles from work and parking and traffic are a nightmare (in the French Quarter) so I just ride my bicycle to work. I got the Motorcycle to go on tours/long trips.

2) 34 just got my endorsement a couple months ago.

have you considered getting a smaller bike for around town? Gs500 or a Ninja 250 or even a dirt bike? I don't like the big gs850g in traffic around town. I actually prefer my bicycle.
      1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

1) Currently using the bikes for all the travel I can get. I use the Honda ST1100 now for daily commutes to work (about 25miles each way) and the GS1000 for when I feel like making more noise. The 850 was my daily rider for about 4 years until I picked up the ST. I plan on longer trips now that I have a solid touring bike.

2) I'm 57 and have been riding since 1977. My first bike was a Honda CB550SS in a blue metal flake.
        Last edited by JTGS850GL; 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm 26 and have been riding my GS450 since I was 21. I use it for pretty much everything and in the summer it pretty much replaces my car (now truck) unless I need the extra space. I use it to commute in/out of the city, go to the grocery store, run errands, pleasure riding and I've started to use it to go camping pretty regularly and I'm sure will be doing that a lot this year. I rode throughout the winter until we got a blizzard and then I tore the bike down to do get it up to speed for the next year.
          The GS450 is awesome since it's small enough to beat around the city but I'll also do a 200 mile day into the country without thinking twice. My GS450 isn't cosmetically `pristine' so it's kind of perfect for everyday riding without worrying about it getting dirty/scratched/whatever.
          I got a '77 GS750 in the fall that will replace the GS450 for longer days and camping trips and I'll be taking it cross country sometime this year, too.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by mrhedges View Post
            1) Just got it running. I live a couple miles from work and parking and traffic are a nightmare (in the French Quarter) so I just ride my bicycle to work. I got the Motorcycle to go on tours/long trips.

2) 34 just got my endorsement a couple months ago.

have you considered getting a smaller bike for around town? Gs500 or a Ninja 250 or even a dirt bike? I don't like the big gs850g in traffic around town. I actually prefer my bicycle.
            I bought my current car just about a year ago, and have only put 10K miles on it since. Most of those miles have been getting to work and back (about 7 miles each way on surface streets). Even though it's larger than a motorcycle (or bicycle), it's really quite convenient and allows me to take passengers on the spur of the moment - something I can't do when I'm riding my bike. I think that all things considered, I will continue to use my car for most of my errands and save the bikes for pleasant evening and weekend outings.

Sure do appreciate all the responses I gotten on this thread!

Comment

1) If I can ride I will prefer it over driving. May even invent reasons to go run errands just to ride. Uh oh, need a pound of vennison for a recipe and it's only sold at a little butcher shop in the next town.....

2)43 till August, then if I remember 44, but may just stay 43 anoher year.

Got a learner's permit for the bike at seventeen in 1990 and never officially had the endorsement on my license until 2004. Initially I had a Rebel 250 but sold it for GS850 which was the sole trnsportation in the house. My dad drove an 18 wheeler around the country and my mom didn't even have a driver's license so there was no car in the home. I took her grocery shopping with the saddlebags and the backrest with the rack on it we could carry quite a bit. Mom had a blast riding with me.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

My bike is mainly a stress reliever.... and growing kids / family obligations don't allow me to relive as much stress as I'd like. I also use it whenever I can to pick up small items. I'm sometimes a bit envious of those who can ride to work - a company van is my work ride.
                I grew up riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, ATCs, and whatever else we could make go. I got my bike license in '91 and have been riding ever since, though the aforementioned family responsiblity has greatly reduced my miles ridden in recent years.

44, ill be 45 in August.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  My bike is mainly a stress reliever.... and growing kids / family obligations don't allow me to relive as much stress as I'd like. I also use it whenever I can to pick up small items. I'm sometimes a bit envious of those who can ride to work - a company van is my work ride.
                  I grew up riding mini bikes, dirt bikes, ATCs, and whatever else we could make go. I got my bike license in '91 and have been riding ever since, though the aforementioned family responsiblity has greatly reduced my miles ridden in recent years.

44, ill be 45 in August.
                  Good on you for focusing on family. As Ed mentioned in another thread, family first (thanks Ed BTW). Bikes will always be there, kids grow then they're gone! After picking my 6yr old son up from soccer practice running late for cub scouts, he fell asleep on the back of my KLR650. Darn near fell off. That woke me up for sure. Bikes had to wait a bit and that's ok. It was neat though to pull up on the KLR and referee a soccer game or two, but stuff, kids, and busyness made me put it aside for a while.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

By my count, half of the folks who have responded so far are 55+
                    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                      By my count, half of the folks who have responded so far are 55+
                      That's good to see. Though it doesn't surprise me considering the age of the GS line.

I stopped at a Waffle House in Piqua, OH the other day (in my car). While I was eating, a group of four Harley riders showed up and gathered outside to converse for a while before they came into the restaurant. I think I can say safely that GS riders differ pretty significantly from Harley riders!

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        Good on you for focusing on family. As Ed mentioned in another thread, family first (thanks Ed BTW). Bikes will always be there, kids grow then they're gone! After picking my 6yr old son up from soccer practice running late for cub scouts, he fell asleep on the back of my KLR650. Darn near fell off. That woke me up for sure. Bikes had to wait a bit and that's ok. It was neat though to pull up on the KLR and referee a soccer game or two, but stuff, kids, and busyness made me put it aside for a while.
                        Yes, thanks for the mention Roger!

I'm slowly getting the things I need to do in order to get my bike back on the road.

Ed

EDIT: Come on Steve, we're all wanting to know the age of the GS Whisperer.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          EDIT: Come on Steve, we're all wanting to know the age of the GS Whisperer.
                          Look at item #2 in post #6.

Then look at the same item in post #1.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was introduced to motorcycling at a young age. Being the youngest of four boys, my older brothers had a big influence on me. I started out riding mini bikes and reading magazines. Later in my teen years (1978-1984) I was big into Motocross. We would go to watch all the National and Grand Prix races with in 1000 miles. After graduating high school, I got big into Drag Racing. I got a great deal on a 1982 GS 1100e. I proceeded to take the Sawzall to it! Raked the steering stem, 6"over swing arm, 6" wide rear tire... I raced from 1985-1991. Those were some great years! I picked up my 81 1100e street bike in 1990. I rode the wheels off of it. About 1995 I hooked up with a girlfriend and her daughter. Instead of buying motorcycle parts I was now buying Beenie Babys! The motorcycles got put into storage for about five years. The daughter got older so I ditched the girlfriend. I started to rebuild the 1100e, I detuned the race engine and put it into my street bike. Talk about your ultimate bar hopper! I was looking for a more user friendly motorcycle and thats when I found my 850g. It started to get some recognition at some of the shows and Bike Nites that I'd go to. I decided that I need another motorcycle, so I bought my 1000e. I think my project for next year is to get the drag bike back in race condition... Oh, I'm 52 going on 18☺
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

1) how do you use your bike mainly?
                              2) how old are you?

1) - I own 2 motorcycles right now-
                              My Goldwing is used for 2 up riding with she who must be obeyed; and any time I have a lot to carry along ; or any long distance trip (over 500 miles in one day)
                              Or any other day I would rather have a smooth ride with fuel injection and big comfortable seat
                              The GS850 is my commuter bike - to work, around the neighborhood, bike nights, etc. Fun to tinker on and with and great to ride.
                              Not as good in cold weather so in early Spring and late fall you will find me on the Wing in full heated gear.

2) Got my motorcycle endorsement in 1978 - My Father would not let me get a license nor a motorcycle until I was of legal age to vote and had the ability to pay all the expenses on my own. I was 19 years old - Now I am approaching 58 and still the coolest guy in my family
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                                ....When I finally have my '81 GS850G up and running correctly, I don't expect it's going to be much different. I have enjoyed the Honda very much for short jaunts out of town on nice days, on lightly-traveled roads......

Scott
                                I'm very pleased with how the 850 handles in town. It is certainty heavier than some others and a bitch to pick up if you stall in a U-turn or hit a patch of sand in a corner, but a terrific overall bike. As Wymple said in another thread about his 81 850 it leaves him "not needing anything else".
                                Another member described the 850 as doing everything well but nothing really exceptionally well, or something to that effect. Sorry, can't recall who said that.
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X