No announcement yet.

Bike useage vs your age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 850 was designed to be a utility bike. Part touring and part commuter bike. Probably one of Suzuki's most versatile machines. You can beat the heck out of them and they still keep going. Something to do with being the smallest displacement of the big block GS series.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
      The 850 was designed to be a utility bike. Part touring and part commuter bike. Probably one of Suzuki's most versatile machines. You can beat the heck out of them and they still keep going. Something to do with being the smallest displacement of the big block GS series.
      BUT..... as I have learned, they are NOT maintenance-free. I'm pretty sure mine sat in a barn for a long time before I bought it. Somebody gave it a quick bath so it would look good in pictures, but underneath, there was silt in EVERYTHING! There was silt inside the electrical connectors, and silt on the inside of the boots that covered the electrical connections, and silt in the folds of the electrical tape that bound the wiring harnesses, and silt in the plastic pouch for the factory air gauge. But there is no sign of water damage. So after many hours of cleaning, there is no more silt!

So my reason for making the remark about silt is that there were other signs of neglect as well, and those deferred-maintenance items required correcting before the bike would even run.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
        BUT..... as I have learned, they are NOT maintenance-free. I'm pretty sure mine sat in a barn for a long time before I bought it. Somebody gave it a quick bath so it would look good in pictures, but underneath, there was silt in EVERYTHING! There was silt inside the electrical connectors, and silt on the inside of the boots that covered the electrical connections, and silt in the folds of the electrical tape that bound the wiring harnesses, and silt in the plastic pouch for the factory air gauge. But there is no sign of water damage. So after many hours of cleaning, there is no more silt!

So my reason for making the remark about silt is that there were other signs of neglect as well, and those deferred-maintenance items required correcting before the bike would even run.
        But even with all that abuse it will still run once the PM is done.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

But even with all that abuse it will still run once the PM is done.
          Yes, it is cleaning up nicely. Steve (GSWhisperer) is doing my carbs now. It has new tires, new chrome airbox side covers, and a bunch of new small hardware items that I will install once it runs correctly. I had the rear tire off last week and used the opportunity to clean the inside and underside of the exhaust. I looks very nearly new!

Comment

Well that says a lot about why I'm so keen on the bike. In the last twenty five years I've owned 4 vans, 6 pickup trucks, driven three other large company work vans and never owned a car. My wife had a Camry and Subaru outback but I rarely drove them( ok technically they were mine too inasmuch as this is her bike which she won't touch). Utility vehicles suit me fine!
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The 850L I had I bought in '87. Versatile machine it was. I sold it in '95.
              About a two or three weeks ago I asked my friend if it was still around for I had sold it to his nephew. He checked and reported last week that his nephew had joined the navy 2 years after he bought it and sold it to a friend. Within a year that friend wrecked it and sold it to a scrap yard in Massachusetts.
              I asked him because I had hoped I could get it back but, alas, it's gone. I loved that bike. Bums me out that it's gone.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                About a two or three weeks ago I asked my friend if it was still around for I had sold it to his nephew. He checked and reported last week that his nephew had joined the navy 2 years after he bought it and sold it to a friend. Within a year that friend wrecked it and sold it to a scrap yard in Massachusetts.
                I asked him because I had hoped I could get it back but, alas, it's gone. I loved that bike. Bums me out that it's gone.
                Man I understand. But the good news is there seems to still be a pretty good supply of 850s around. Check out Craigslist (so you can go inspect them in person). There is also a pretty good Classified section on this Forum. So go get you a new one!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Look at item #2 in post #6.

Then look at the same item in post #1.

I was 9 years old in 1975. Were you 16 when you got your endorsement? Wait...back in those days, was it 13 years of age to get a license?

You certainly aren't 70 yet...and if you're still working at that age, are you in debt up to your eyeballs?

Anyway, you don't act your age from the conversations we've had...just an observation.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I was not 16 when I got my endorsement. (Wasn't 13, either.)

I am not 70 yet.

The debt level is only about waist-high, nowhere near the eyeballs.

Many will say that I never have acted my age, nowadays I take that as a compliment.

Age is just a state of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. My mother always said I never did mind.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Man I understand. But the good news is there seems to still be a pretty good supply of 850s around. Check out Craigslist (so you can go inspect them in person). There is also a pretty good Classified section on this Forum. So go get you a new one!

I have a couple of 1100's which I very much like. My thoughts on my old 850 were purely nostalgic.
                      I see a lot of signatures with 4, 5 and 6 or so bikes listed and can't imagine keeping up with all of them.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was about 21... I got pulled over, the cop said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no drivers license at all". He gave me a ticket. So, I went to court thinking I'd just plead no contest, pay a fine and be on my merry way. The judge said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no license at all! It's a first degree mistamener! I'd advise you to plead not guilty and come back with a attorney!" I left the court room a little startled, I have to get a attorney?? I went to see the attorney, he said "$500 and I'll see what I can do". Meanwhile I got my endorsement. Went back to court, nervously waiting for my attorney to show up (he was late) He shows up goes to the back room, comes back out and tells me "all you have to say is thank you your honor". The judge calls me up. No fine No court cost. I said "thank you your honor"... That stupid mistake only cost me $500!
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                          That's too bad. Would be really cool to wind up with the same bike again. I can't remember exactly what 850G I had back in the day. I sold it to a friend of a friend and after many of my buddies joined the military in 1992 and I left town for work, we severed all communication. Mine was a blue/ green (teal?) color. I'm pretty sure the gauges were all one piece like the 81 and the choke a pull knob. My parents may have a picture in the bottom of a box somewhere but I hated having my pic taken and was really bad about using a camera to preserve memories. I had a windjammer in the garage I bought from a vacuum salesman, but never put it on. If I did I may have ridden the bike to Macon, Georgia where I went for work instead of selling it for a plane ticket.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The bike I've used so far is my '81 Honda CB900 Custom that I bought almost a year ago. It's a beautiful bike and I get compliments on it pretty regularly.....

Scott
                            Hey Scott, you'll get plenty of comments/ compliments on a nice looking GS as well as the CB900. I have that happen quite often. I spend most of my riding time on the highway/ freeway but I've had people next to me at stoplights roll down their window and start conversations about an 850 they once owned and Vetter accessories. The bike shop (Moto Authority, High Velocity Cycles, Cycle Gear) employees have come outside to check it out and all appreciate these old bikes. Funny thing though, the dealership guys could give a flip.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Mine is just for afternoon cruises around the local countryside. Don't feel the need for speed (much) and I like the comfort offered by the 'L'.

I'm another who has reached 55 and I've been riding since I was 16. I've hit all corners of the UK and a couple of European trips in that time but due the wife's disabilities I need to be more localised nowadays.
                              The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                                I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was about 21... I got pulled over, the cop said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no drivers license at all". He gave me a ticket. So, I went to court thinking I'd just plead no contest, pay a fine and be on my merry way. The judge said "Riding with no motorcycle endorsement is like riding with no license at all! It's a first degree mistamener! I'd advise you to plead not guilty and come back with a attorney!" I left the court room a little startled, I have to get a attorney?? I went to see the attorney, he said "$500 and I'll see what I can do". Meanwhile I got my endorsement. Went back to court, nervously waiting for my attorney to show up (he was late) He shows up goes to the back room, comes back out and tells me "all you have to say is thank you your honor". The judge calls me up. No fine No court cost. I said "thank you your honor"... That stupid mistake only cost me $500!
                                Soooo,

Basically...the judge wanted you to have representation who would have a sidebar discussion with him so you'd worry yourself mad after getting your endorsement? That's quite the lesson there, Norm.

E
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X