GS500 clutch helix swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS500 clutch helix swap?

I'm curious as to whether a ball bearing type GS500 clutch release helix could be swapped onto a 450 block.

I have an SV650 one and it's close, but the arm is a different throw and angle. However, the part number is very close to a GS500 one - 2320001D00 [GS] vs 2320011D00 [SV] - which leads me to think that they adapted the GS one to the SV.

The pushrod is a different number, probably because of length 2311144110 vs 2311124A01 [500] but everything else looks the same. Given me druthers, I'd rather have the ball bearing type instead of the old nylon job that - well, you've probably been there.

Anyone with both bikes willing to see whether this could work? I have enough machine shop access to make an SV one work, but a plug and play GS500 part would be peachy, and less friction.
    Last edited by John Park; 04-28-2017, 04:01 PM.
    '82 GS450T

After some 'inner net' sleuthing and fiddling in my parts bin, I've come to the conclusion that the SV and GS versions of the helix differ only in the angle the arm comes out at, which is just a matter of pulling it apart and changing the clocking. Be warned that the little balls may try to fall out so do this over a rag or towel.

The arm is longer because the helix angle is steeper on the ball bearing one. And here's the 'rub'; the 450 cable holder doesn't line up with the longer arm. It's angled a bit on the 450 cover and straight down on the 500. Using a 500 cover would solve this, but whether it fits is unknown, and it might look odd.

So it's a fill, drill and tap situation unless I can think up a quick and dirty alternative. I have a spare and ugly cover to experiment on, and I have an idea…..
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Strangely, I've done it in the opposite direction. The CB350 Honda has a 3 ball clutch lifter mechanism which is absolute rubbish...

I grafted a GS450 nylon one into the outer cover - and the clutch was much niicer...

If you need to change the approach angle of the cable, either rotate the female helix mount or adjust the pushrod length.

Comment

Actually, I decided to just drill a new cable hole a little further aft. There's not as much meat as with the original boss, but it should be enough as long as the lock nut isn't overdone. It just has to keep it from vibrating. Re angling the original hole would be better, but you'd have to do more metalwork than I feel like at the moment.

I'll be changing my pushrod seal later this week - I hope it's not the flanged one - and will try it out. I'm not expecting miracles over the nylon original, but the ones I have are either cracked or shrunken and wobbly. I'm of the suspicion they haven't manufactured any for a long time and when those are done we'll either be squeezing the dregs of the used ones or going GS500.

I went through all the options and the least complex, plug and play method is to just drill a new hole and tap it. The whole GS500 cover may fit, and they're pretty cheap used and often come with a helix. The helix is about $60+ so anything under that is good , considering that the things shouldn't wear out.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

I bought the entire cover/assembly off of eBay (used), the GS500 sprocket cover/clutch helix assembly is a direct bolt on to the GS450.
          1982 Suzuki GS450TZ
          1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper88 View Post
            I bought the entire cover/assembly off of eBay (used), the GS500 sprocket cover/clutch helix assembly is a direct bolt on to the GS450.
            That's nice to know; thanks for sharing the info. I suspected that they wouldn't have created any more work for themselves than necessary.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
            X