Gs1000 electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1000 electrical problem

Hi,I woke my gs up after letting her sleep in shed for 13 years,cleaned carbs out & fired it up onĺy to find the carbs still weren't that good so stripped them again & it much better. Still struggled to rev past 4k but low down was ok. Held it open trying to clear carbs by holding hand over carb mouths. Managed to get it up to 5.5k when my neutral light,oil light,indicators,parking light & coils blew. Had a look through harness & cleaned the earths up. Bought new coils & electronic ignition from boyer bransden fitted it all & had it running but still struggling to rev cleanly. Thought I'd try getting it to rev past 5k when it blew main fuse& neutral light again. Found a dry joint in main lead to positive battery terminal behind fuse box so fixed that. Still no spark so now need to take it all off & get it tested. Was checking lights still work when I saw a puff of smoke from the electronic ignition box so now it really is stuffed. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for what could be wrong before I spend another £180 on an electronic ignition kit that may self combust within 10 minutes of fitting? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
    Nick

Post the year of your bike please. Makes a differance.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

The bikes been sitting for 13 years. I'd go thru the wiring harness connection by connection, ground by ground. Clean up the fuses box and clean all your switches. Also get a shop manual and make sure everything is wired correctly. This really won't take more than half a day and is good maintenance. Use Deoxit to clean the connectors.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you have a points system then I'd go ahead and replace the points and condensers. Again, without knowing what year bike it's difficult to know what carbs and ignition system you have.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sounds to me like an over voltage situation. Buy a multi meter and do the tests in the stator pages. But first get ignition sorted, boyer are not the best systems. Newtronic is less cost. As posted we need to know bike details to help you more. And use the search function and welcome to the site ! And we like pictures
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Stator Papers and carb cleaning tutorial can be found here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
            Welcome to the site.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi,sorry it's a 79 gs1000ec. Been through the loom & all I found was a dodgy joint on the main fuse for the battery. The reg rec checks out ok on my meter & so do the earthing points. I added an extra earth from the battery to the frame & cleaned the others. Trying to add some pics now so bear with me as i don't use forums very often. Thanks again,
              Nick
              Attached Files

Comment

Hadn't thought about the switches so will give them a clean up next. I'm hoping the dry joint on fuse box would have been causing the spikes that have fried the original coils. Guess I'll have to buy some standard coils & put the points back on to get it running right before I spend out on another electronic ignition kit. Was hoping to avoid buying coils twice so went with the boyer kit as they only 20 minutes from home. Will take it all back to them when they open Tuesday & get them to test their kit. If I hadn't messed about with it this morning maybe they could have pointed me in the right direction. While checking what lights I still had this morning it all seemed fine apart from no spark until I switched from dipped beam to main & got a puff of smoke from the blue box. Now it's definitely buggered.
                Attached Files

Comment

Glad I've got 6 other bikes to choose from at the moment so decided to take my tdr250 out for a blast then my yzf750r & finished off on ktm950sm. Need to sell the yzf & ktm as I want to keep my licence. 😎

Comment

Yzf750 20170413_120945.jpg

Comment

Tdr250 20150507_171554.jpg
                      Almost as much fun as ktm950sm

Comment

Ktm950sm 20150507_171657.jpg
                        Probably best bike I've ever ridden but I'm too irresponsible to use it on road. Power wheelies in 3rd 😂 That's why I need to sort gs out. Can't ride far on ktm cos it's seat is too uncomfortable for my fat arse

Comment

Ktm950sm 20150507_171657.jpg
                          Probably best bike I've ever ridden but I'm too irresponsible to use it on road. Power wheelies in 3rd 😂 That's why I need to sort gs out. Can't ride far on ktm cos it's seat is too uncomfortable for my fat arse.

Comment

I have an old Boyer on a Commando. I do not like the advance on it at all. Are you still using the Mechanical Advance on the Suzuki?

I'm going to switch to the newer Boyer, or an alternate brand of electronic ignition.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Nickus? View Post
                              Hi,sorry it's a 79 gs1000ec. Been through the loom & all I found was a dodgy joint on the main fuse for the battery. The reg rec checks out ok on my meter & so do the earthing points. I added an extra earth from the battery to the frame & cleaned the others. Trying to add some pics now so bear with me as i don't use forums very often. Thanks again,
                              Nick
                              Nickus - see post #6 for the link to all of your answers, including posting big pictures The early 1000 fuse box is notorious for having problems, so your electrical issue is either at the fuse box, or it's over charging.

As far as the bike not revving up, was this an issue before you put it away?

Actually, it looks like a 78 with a replacement tank. Is the choke lever on the side of the carbs, or the handlebars?
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X