Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on how to refurbish an old Yoshi can...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on how to refurbish an old Yoshi can...

My 95 GSX750F Kat project came with a rusty aftermarket 4-1 header & old Yoshimura muffler that I'd like to reuse if possible...

Official disclaimer - I know nothing about motorcycle mufflers, or what's supposed to be inside them.

The can is a 15" long x 4" OD aluminum tube, with a 2" diameter turn down end cap. I pulled the end cap off and there is nothing in there, no baffle or packing of any type. At the half way point down the tube (7.5" deep) there's a partition with a 1.5" dia. hole through it. I can feel a baffle when I stick my finger through the partition hole, but can't really see much... I'm unable to remove the can from the inlet end cap, mainly because I tried & I'm afraid of ruining it. The inlet side of the muffler is secured to the the 2" exhaust pipe somehow, I suspect there are fasteners from the inlet cap holding it on...

So my question are:

- Should I be trying to fit a baffle from the outlet side of the partition to the outlet end cap (7.5" length)?
    - What size baffle ID would be appropriate?
    - Do I match the 1.5" dia partition hole? Or go smaller/larger?
    - Should I wrap the "new" baffle so that it fills up the entire can volume (approx. 3.75" ID)?

BTW - I called the Yoshimura technical people & they basically told me they know nothing about that can (or what's supposed to be in there) because it's out-of-production & obsolete.

There are lots of replacement baffles & wrap kits available on-line which I figure I could modify to fit inside this can - I'm hoping someone here knows these old Yosh cans & can offer me some adive on how to make it usable again.

Any advice is welcome - Thanks!! Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

This is what mine looks like disassembled - 85 gs1150 unit. Its a straight thru design though. During cleanup I re wrapped the small diameter portion of the baffle as I found it.

Last edited by dorkburger; 04-30-2017, 01:01 AM.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

He say it mo-betta than me…

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks guys, this is very helpful! Seems I need to fabricate a baffle that will stay centered & secured in my empty can...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Iteresting. The baffle on mine appears to be a press fit onto the main pipe coming in after the ring that the can attaches to. Sounds like someone took yours off. It must be really loud....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yeah, I bet it is!! I've not fired this bike up yet, still working through all the neglected stuff...

I have no intention of using an essential straight pipe set-up like it is - I'll come up with something to fill that can, wish Yoshimura still offered replacement stuff for this one...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

You can start over with a used slip on muffler, the Yashimura RS3 is good, 2" inlet is used on all sport bikes.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
              X