Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New build! Gs 450e 1989 to brat/cafe racer

Hi guys!

Starting my first project ever. Bought my first bike yesterday. €375, I live in the Netherlands. Works like a charm. The guy I bought it from put way to much oil in it, so when I removed the air filter it was all filled up with oil….
    None the less, it drives fine, carbs are well in sync and the engine sounds fine.
    Here is a picture of my bike in original state:
    IMG-20170428-WA0001.jpg

I am planning on putting new air filters on to get that clean look in the centre. On this forum I see that a lot of people have problems with this change. Hope you guys can help me when the time is there.

Ill keep you guys updated if you are interested!

Greetings

Hi guys!

Here an update:

I disassembled the bike and cleaned the carburators, just the outside because they were running fine.
    Now i am thinking about a good brat style seat. (long, double seat and flat)

I find a lot of good seats but the prices are really expensive or pretty cheap. I don't know anything about seats so i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips!

Comment

What is your fabrication background? Unlikely that you will find anything to bolt on so you will need to make mounts for whatever seat you get or make your own seat pan (fiberglass is easy and fun), cover it in foam and get it upholstered. Here's the one I made for mine:

I made the pan and pulled the brackets off the stock seat to mount it. Don't use it anymore since I'm tall and with that seat I was sitting lower with knees more bent - wasn't comfortable.

You might get some heat here for the PODS. I say go for it if you enjoy tinkering. BUT get the bike running well first before you start messing around too much.
      Last edited by sam000lee; 05-03-2017, 10:14 AM.
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
      X