CDI Igniter / New Coils / Dyna S Installation? 1982 GS650E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI Igniter / New Coils / Dyna S Installation? 1982 GS650E

Hey all. This is my first post. After sifting through a ton of crap, I still can't find a definitive solution to my problem. So I recently ran into some no spark issues with my bike. After some multimeter testing, it turns out my coils and signal generator/pickups/whatever you want to call them were bad. So I bought and installed new ignition coils, and also bought a DS2-2 Dyna S ignition system. My question is does this Dyna completely replace my cdi box? Can I get rid of that damn thing? BTW, this bike does have a mechanical advance. So, my original pickups had three wires, a green/white, brown, and black/white. The Dyna has 4, two reds (which are connected together at the end, spliced into one), a black labeled as green, and a white labeled as black. What I thought I might do is splice into the connector from the stock pickups, but given that the wires coming from the Dyna are different, I have no idea now. I can somewhat follow the stock wiring if I have a diagram next to me. Most of it is mumbo jumbo. So much junk that I am seriously considering re-wiring this whole thing to trim the fat, and so I know whet the hell is what. I tried like hell to attach some pictures, but for some reason only one uploaded, the wires coming from the new coils. I will try the others again later. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!??
    Attached Files

from dyna.jpg Here is what is coming from the Dyna S

Comment

from original pickups.jpg And here is the original pickup connector

Comment

Did you read the Dyna S instructions?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, I read the instructions, but they dont really make sense for my GS. They are written for a KZ. I know it should be a similar application, but the wire colors are all wrong, and i just cant really make sense of it. Does the Dyna enable me to remove my cdi? The more I read it, it seems like it bypasses the cdi completely

Comment

Go here ,read! The diagram on the link's page 8 explains the hookup. Remove the stock ignitor and signal coils as they are replaced by the dyna. Consider offering your old ignitor to some one who could test it and pronounce it dead.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko
              The Dyna S replaces contact points, nothing more.

Your bike may run with the Dyna S only, but that would require a rework of your cable loom
              to bypass the CDI.
              This assumption is based on what i know of the 1979 GS1000
              that use contacts only and the 1980 GS1000 which use pickups
              and CDI : essentially the same engine so i would imagine
              you can eliminate the CDI without issue.
              You would lose the advantages in motor management the CDI
              adds though.
              So what other advantages in motor management does the cdi provide? When I look at a stock wiring diagram for the gs, all the wires coming out of it only go to the coils and the signal gen. If I replace the signal gen and wire it directly to the coils, and switched power, it looks like that completely eliminates the cdi. Is this correct? What added benefit will I be losing?

Comment

Thank you tom. So after reading, it looks like all I do is connect the black and whites to the coils, and splice the 2 into 1 red to an orange/white anywhere? Or to the starter solenoid? Or one red to 1-4 coil, and another red to the 2-3 coil?

Comment

Working...
                X