Rejetting for new UNI filter on '82 GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting for new UNI filter on '82 GS850

Main point: Can a leaky petcock mixed with a leaky float needle cause a bike that would otherwise run lean, run healthy?

Long story short in chronological order:

• Got the bike used a year and a half ago
    • Cleaned and rebuilt carbs
    • Installed new UNI replacement filter
    • Bike ran lean
    • Found that intake boots were leaking, replaced them
    • Bike ran healthy after a half turn out of mixture screws, ran great all season
    • Fast forward through winter
    • #4 carb was overflowing gas, there was some evidence of this towards the end of the first season with it (dark plug on #4)
    • This caused the bike to run extremely rich and flood—it would die about ten minutes into riding it
    • Replaced the leaky petcock with a new one, rebuilt all carbs, installed new float needles (and adjusted float height to spec), and new pilot jets (and rubber plugs and O-rings) from a K&N rebuild kit
    • Now the bike seems to run excessively lean—sometimes dies without choke, dies/comes close to dying when throttle is turned, wacky idle.
    • The main point again: is it possible that I should have rejetted the 115 mains to something like 117 mains for the new UNI filter and that somehow the leaky petcock/float needle allowed for the bike to run somewhat healthy?

I'm just trying to narrow down the issue so I don't go out and buy a whole new rebuild kit. Thanks everyone!
Working...
X