Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs110gk

Hi All
    I am on a tiny island in the mediterranean called Malta. I acquired the GS1100GK by pure chance as I used to travel to UK for business very often and once I came across this bike. To put you in the picture I had never owned a bike, never drove a bike let alone a monstrous 1100.
    But I fell in love with the massive look and the sheer muscle I could see oozzing from its engine. From what I was told this bike was taken from the USA to UK by a pilot who worked there and had it repossesed by an auctioneer from whom I bought it.
    I ran it for a few years but now havent done so for over a year. I am intent on bringing it back to its original splendour soon but need to know if there are still parts available for it. The items I need most are the two panniers and the rear box that came with it. It is completely intact except that the boxes are cracked from where they have fallen . Can these be repaired?
    Looking forward to hear from you guys.

I think the "Forum Q&A" section needs to be renamed. So many new members put bike questions in here.

Many parts are still available new, but not non-maintenance items like bodywork or luggage. The luggage is ABS plastic, and can be repaired using the usual methods for that material. Plastic welding and "ABS slurry". A skilled body shop should be able to do the plastic welding and repaint them. I wouldn't trust the ABS slurry to restore full strength in an area that may have to carry a load. I tried the welding repair on my side-bag lid, but didn't pay enough attention to the heat I put into it. I warped it permanently.

Used replacements can be found, but shipping on such bulky items is prohibitive. It may be cheaper than professional repair.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
    X