Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with the new Replacement chain and sprockets for my GS1000E

MY apologies you can delete this placed under general

Bought a new chain and sprockets for the Bike and today attempted to install the new parts.
    remove the rear wheel etc get the new 42t rear sprocket installed

remove the chain cover and remove the old main gear (front) sprocket has 3-holes notice this after removing the 3 lock tighten screws
    the new sprocket is 15th and only has 2 holes and the new rear is 42T fitted OK

The old sprockets are also a lot larger then either of these original parts

what is my solution did they send the wrong front sprocket (main) or do i need more parts like the outer and inner race that hold the sprocket in place?
    Recoush
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2017, 01:04 PM.

You still need 3 holes on the front sprocket no matter what so the one you have is never going to work. Did you mean to order 630 parts or 530 parts?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

When you say "larger" you mean diameter or thickness? If it is either then you ordered 530 instead of 630 chain and sprockets and the thinness and smaller diameter is normal for 530. You also need a washer spacer for the front sprocket or it will not line up with the rear. IIRC it's a 6mm spacer?
      1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
      1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Pictures would be a great help...
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I had a similar problem i got 82 gs750t with 630 chain cant get the oem front sprocket go with jt and 1 spacer

Comment

my 530 chain conversion sprocket's needed a 6 mm spacer from gt to work. the spacer is on the outside of the sprocket towards the cover, i put the tab in front of it then the nut . the original 630 sprocket had a big rubber damper built in. you may still need a spacer if its a 630 or any other size for that matter. also all the sprockets have numbers on them. check the numbers

Comment

The 530 conversion will need something like 17-48 sprockets to keep the chain a reasonable distance away from the swingarm. The 530 sprockets don't mount using the 3 holes, they mount directly to the splined shaft.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
              X