problem with new cahins and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with new cahins and sprockets

Bought a new chain and sprockets for the Bike and today attempted to install the new parts.
    remove the rear wheel etc get the new 42t rear sprocket installed

removed the chain cover and remove the old main gear (front) sprocket has 3-holes notice this after removing the 3 lock tighten screws
    the new sprocket is 15th and only has 2 holes and the new rear is 42T fitted OK

The old sprockets are also a lot larger guess the new chain is dimensional smaller chains as the count appears to be the same

Did the seller send me the wrong front sprocket (main) or do i need more parts like the outer and inner race that hold the sprocket in place?
    Recoush
    Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2017, 01:16 PM.

Are you going from a 630 to 530 setup?

Are you talking about the two holes shown in this pic? If so, I don't think they matter.

Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
      Are you going from a 630 to 530 setup?
      Are you talking about the two holes shown in this pic? If so, I don't think they matter.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you are correct a conversion kit :>)

if the new 2 hole sprocket is correct then i must be missing some other pieces, how do i mount it to the main gear shaft ?
      My old one sprocket has 3 hole pattern and is held in place with 3 flat heat heads with the sprocket in between?
      the sale ad below

New O-Ring Chain and Sprocket Set for Suzuki GS1000E

Fits 1978, 1979, 1980 models
      The sprockets are stock gearing, 15/42 tooth sprockets and the chain is a 530-120 O-Ring Chain. Stock the GS 1000's came with a 630 sprocket and chain, which is very rare now. This set is the conversion to to a 530 set, much more common.

OK Figured out that i am over thinking this DUHO, I had a Forest Gump moment after reading this link below
      Only question which side do place the shim in front of the sprocket or behind the sprocket?
      thank god you guys have an Archive :>)

Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

you should take those sprockets off, package them up, send them back and demand a refund.
        A 530 conversion kit should have much larger sprockets than the standard 15/42 sizes.
        The seller has ripped you off
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

just found this in the archive
          6mm Sprocket Spacer with 25mm center - can be used with 518 series front sprockets on Suzuki GS models. Can be also used on other bikes to off-set the front sprocket. Please insure enough of the front sprocket is on the output shaft spline, and there is clearance for the chain to clear engine cases and frame tubes.

This washer goes on the OUTSIDE of the sprocket! Not between the case and the sprocket. ~~~~~~~~~ The early GS series bikes came equipped with a countershaft sprocket that was sandwiched in rubber for dampening purposes. This spacer takes the place of that rubber sandwich. To the best of our knowledge, the following bikes came with the rubberized sprocket: GSX750LT, LX, T, ET, EX, EZ, SZ 1979-82, GS1000 ALL 79-82, GSX1000 ALL 82-84, GS1100 E-L, ES 80-83, GS1100 E, ES 84-86, GSX1100 SZ, SD Katana 81-85, GSX1100 EZ, ESD 80-85, GSX1100 EF, EG 85-88

guess the spacer is under the nut on the outside of the sprocket

This is very interesting the set are the same 15/42 yes that is true
          IF the 530 set is supposed have larger sprockets?
          if that is so then i am stuck for now with this setup for the time being
          recoush

Comment

530 tooth count should be 17/46 or close to it. staying with the stock ratio will possibly give you chain to swingarm pivot clearance issues
            Last edited by Agemax; 05-06-2017, 02:56 PM.
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

You should have a 50 tooth rear sprocket, 18 tooth front sprocket with 116 links of 530 chain. There's a post that explains everything. General Maintenance- 530 chain conversation...
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

The 530 conversion I bought from Z1 is the 18/49 sprocket sizes and I have a 750.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

well crude, going to have to go with this for now and order another kit for next year
                  Since i have removed all the old 630 stuff

looks like Z1 has those parts available
                  in 13-18t
                  and 38-52teeth

should i order as suggested the 18 and the 50T and the 116 link chain and shackle

at this point i can just slide the wheel on until i get the correct sprockets and chain
                  and maybe sell this stuff at swap meet sometime
                  Recoush

thanks for the help
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

a 17/46 or 18/48 will give you roughly the same ratio. the 18 tooth front will give you the chain/swingarm pivot clearance needed.
                    the sprocket diameters with the 530 conversion will be much smaller than with the 630 size, so even though the ratio will be similar, the clearance will be all wrong.
                    Last edited by Agemax; 05-06-2017, 02:58 PM.
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

ok so 18/48 or 18/50 ?

Comment

Originally posted by recoush View Post
                        ok so 18/48 or 18/50 ?
                        18/50 will give you slightly quicker acceleration, but less top end speed. and slightly higher revs at cruising speeds
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Sent back the new set that was an original matching 530 set
                          and ordered and installed temporary

18 front sprocket JTF513.18
                          48 rear sprocket JTR816.48
                          6mm shim JTF518B
                          116 link RX chain and link 530XS0z1

Noticed that i may have to remover 1 link more than halfway back.
                          also noticed that the shim should be on the case Inside not the front side?

Why I think this
                          all the sprockets in my case measure the same thickness rear and front sprockets
                          except the original front sprocket is 20mm thick with the vibration adapters.
                          The front sprocket by itself is about 8+mm thick leaving about 11+mm

The each half of the vibration shim is about 5.4mm
                          IF the front of the sprocket without a shim would, would mean that sprocket is pushed back rather than forward.

If I am correct to keep the chain in the same alignment the chain, we would have to put the shim on first then the sprocket then the retainer then the locknut
                          Wondering what the Gurus think would 6mm ether way make any real issues?

Comment

Working...
                          X