Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering bearings. Should I try that....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inplace.
    Also showing original bearing halfs.

Am so glad to be this far.
    All the vidios say that the bearing on the stem is the hardest part.

I started to tap the race into the upper steering neck, and it started to go crooked . . . so... whoaaa.... project on hold for a bit, untill I look into this some more.

Last edited by Redman; 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good info.

The video makes it look easy when you have the correct tool.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had luck using a 2x4 on top of the race to tap it down
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On a GS, I've never had much luck catching the edge of the lower race, even with a "bent chisel" sort of tool or any of the commercial "bearing puller" tools (none of these contraptions I've tried actually, you know, frickin' work). I just go straight for the Dremel now on steel frames. On modern bikes with aluminum frames, there's usually a slot cast into the bearing seat area that makes this easy.

To install, I use a set of tapered aluminum bearing and seal drivers from Harbor Freight. The aluminum discs can't damage the hardened steel of the races:
          Amazing deals on this 10Pc Bearing Race And Seal Driver Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

These things are ridiculously handy. Grab a 20% off coupon from the nearest mailbox or magazine and get you a set.

To get the races started, use two of the discs with a length of threaded rod and some nuts and washers. You probably won't be able to draw them into place all the way like this, but you can get them started straight and seat them by hammering.

I also have a large copper hammer I inherited that is just the ticket for bashing bearing races into place without damage. Not a common item in most garages.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            I also have a large copper hammer I inherited that is just the ticket for bashing bearing races into place without damage. Not a common item in most garages.
            I love my soft metal hammers...

Left to right:
            4 lb lead sledge hammer I bought in 1973 for the knockoffs on my 1960 Austin Healey 3000 - don't have the car anymore, but love the hammer for all sorts of things
            1 lb brass hammer purchased in 1974 when I worked at a Lotus dealership - I use this one all the time
            5 oz bronze hammer that I made in 1980 or so, when I worked at a place with a machine shop I could use - Very, very handy little hammer

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              On a GS, I've never had much luck catching the edge of the lower race, even with a "bent chisel" sort of tool or any of the commercial "bearing puller" tools (none of these contraptions I've tried actually, you know, frickin' work). I just go straight for the Dremel now on steel frames. On modern bikes with aluminum frames, there's usually a slot cast into the bearing seat area that makes this easy.

To install, I use a set of tapered aluminum bearing and seal drivers from Harbor Freight. The aluminum discs can't damage the hardened steel of the races:
              Amazing deals on this 10Pc Bearing Race And Seal Driver Set at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

These things are ridiculously handy. Grab a 20% off coupon from the nearest mailbox or magazine and get you a set.

To get the races started, use two of the discs with a length of threaded rod and some nuts and washers. You probably won't be able to draw them into place all the way like this, but you can get them started straight and seat them by hammering.

Looks like a good thing to have.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                I love my soft metal hammers...
                And I thought I was doing good to have a rubber mallet. ... .... ...

Comment

Update:
                  GOt the bearing races installed and the clamps and handlebars all reinstalled.

THanks everyone for your responce.

And thanks again Norm.

Have someother things to do before is back out on the road.
                  Last edited by Redman; 05-15-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

But, but, but, how will I know when have the front end back to center, now that dont have that detent. har har har

Comment

Back from first ride after the steerring bearing replacement.

Oh, Man! Should have done that long time ago.
                      Man, so much better going into a curve, and comming out of a curve.

Comment

Working...
                      X