Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering bearings. Should I try that....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering bearings. Should I try that....?

Should I be doing this .... ?

I know it needs to be done, actaully I started to notice it about about 3 years ago.

But Should I be trying to do this....?
    Do not have a machine shop.
    Dont have bearing pullers and such.
    Should I try this with just regular hand tools....?

I tryed a little bit of prying and tapping at the bearing on the bottom of the yoke there. Tried some penitrint. Nothing, didnt budge a bit.
    Have not tried on the races in the steering neck.

Last edited by Redman; 05-06-2017, 04:32 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Absolutely.

Can you catch the edge of the inner race with a long screwdriver on the inside of the steering neck driving downward? If so, slowly tap around the lower race until it pops out. If you can't catch and edge you need a dremel tool and cut off wheel to slice through the race about 2/3's of the way. Then take a sharp chisel and give the race a good whack in the cut and it will crack so you can take it out.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you can't do it with the screwdriver, as Nessism suggested, here is what to do with the Dremel:
      Use the large reinforced cut-off wheel, cut the race. Don't worry too much about putting a bit of a nick in the frame, it won't matter when the new bearings are installed.

Cut the race twice, it will practically fall out.

My races looked about the same as yours.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUL4siK82o

Here's another one where they don't have any "fancy" tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ozfh93CvBs
        Last edited by gbw; 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM.
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Dave I have the tools to make the job easier. Outer racer removal punch, new race puller, stem race driver. You are more than welcome to borrow them. Let me know and I'll send them out Monday.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by storm 64; 05-06-2017, 08:55 PM.
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Cut it with the Dremel tool as suggested. That's what I did and it worked fine.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yah, I didn't do much research on this.

I got the bearings some time ago.

Had the fork tubes out this afternoon to change the fork seal, and then said should look into getting at the steering head bearings.

Thanks.

Some more research this evening, and then back at it tommorow afternoon.

Norm, Will PM.

THe two in the neck dont seem like much of a problem.

THe one on the stem looks to be more of a challenge.

Dave.
              Last edited by Redman; 05-06-2017, 09:27 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Comment

Dremel again. Cut a slot in the race, stick a cold chisel in the slot, give it a pop to crack the race and it'll loosen and you can tap it off.

To install, put the seal on, grease the bearing, slide the bearing into the place, then put the old bearing race on top upside-down to use as a driver. Bash or press it into place with a hunk of iron pipe with a cap on it.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'll add another vote to cutting that race with your dremel
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'll add a vote to cutting too, but wear face protection when you chisel it. I still have a piece of steel in my throat from doing that on a car years ago.
                      Alan

sigpic
                      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Have seen a few utube vids.
                        But having your highly esteemed statements here is much more valuable.

Comment

Ah... now I see that the lower bearing race in the steering neck is in a place where the neck goes to a larger diameter, such that cant catch the race edge with a large screwdriver from above (as can the upper bearing race from below).
                          Ah... so that is a good candidate for getting cut with the dremel... or need a long bent punch like Storm showed in his picture.

Will be back at it this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Dremel again. Cut a slot in the race, stick a cold chisel in the slot, give it a pop to crack the race and it'll loosen and you can tap it off.

To install, put the seal on, grease the bearing, slide the bearing into the place, then put the old bearing race on top upside-down to use as a driver. Bash or press it into place with a hunk of iron pipe with a cap on it.

Did cut a slot in it.
                            Whacked and hammered with a cold chizzle. Could not get the thing to crack. Maybe I did not cut deep enough. Or maybe my THree-for-15-bucks (Home Depot) chizzles are not hard enough.
                            But whilst wacking on it I noticed the bearing was starting to twist and move up, so was then able to keep driving it araound and up, and got it off in a while.

While driving it off, one corner of the edge broke off that I was wacking/chizzling on it. I heard that piece hit the wall of a far corner of the garage YIKES that piece must have had some velocity on it. (Consistent with what AMK was saying.)

I filed off a couple places I scratched up the surface.

Grease Packed the new bearing and put it in place.
                            Was a bit concerned at all the further down it fit.

But was easy to tap it down into place with mallet and rod using old bearing as a driver tool. Just tap one edge, then other side, then other quarter, then opposite side, little by little, around.
                            Last edited by Redman; 05-07-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

The race in upper neck came out easy. Was easy to reach up from underneath woth long screw driver and tapp it out.

THe lower one is a differetn story. Unlike most vidios, can not reach through from the top and catch the race with a long screw driver. Maybe if had a long screw driver with the end bent at an angle, then maybe could catch the edge of the race.

So, I used the cut-a-slot technique.

Am sure I cut all the way thru it, and could not get it to fall out.
                              So used a small chizzle and tapped on the slot and got it to spinn a little bit, then could pry it out, little by little, one side then the other.

Last edited by Redman; 05-07-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X