Sooooo... valve clearance....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooooo... valve clearance....

No real issues with it, just wanted to share my account of the first valve adjustment on the 300:

This was surprisingly easier than I thought it'd be. Mind you, I've assembled engines for cars, lawn mowers, weedeaters, 2 & 4-stroke dirt bikes alike... but this was the first time for me on the top end of a road bike. It has a tick under 23k on it, and had never had the valves adjusted in at least the 15k miles we've owned it.

So four bolts and a gas line, and the seat and tank were off and sitting on the bench at my friend's place. A few more bolts and screws bad the end caps off and the valve cover ready to come off. A little careful prying in spots, and she lifted right off with some polite maneuvering. Time to get down to bidness.

The valve stems are recessed into the retainers, which made it hard to get a good reading with the feelers. A quick snip off the sides of the ones I used and we were rolling on. Holy CRAP these things were tight! No play whatsoever in them at all. It's entirely possible that the valves weren't completely seating once yhe engine was warmed up. It did have a random pop and crackle over and above the exhaust note when I'd be accelerating. Anywho, I set the intakes at .004" and the exhausts at .005", cinched the jam nuts down, reinstalled the valve cover and breather, cinched it down, and remounted the tank & seat. Done.

So far it's ran fine! No pop or crackle under load, my right plug doesn't show as lean, the engine idles smoother, and the exhaust note seems to be louder than before. I'm happy with it!

Good result.
    Seeing as how you got such a buzz from doing it would I be correct in assuming it won't go 15k to the next time
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Every 8,000 is whats recommended by the factory I believe.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, I've read every 10,000 before, but more frequently isn't a bad thing.

Yes, Brendan. It definitely will be checked sooner than later next time. :P

Comment

Working...
        X