Barn bike: runs great now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn bike: runs great now

Hi everyone. I found a 81 gs850g in a barn a while back and the owner just said take it, so I did. Got the title in my name and started finding what needed done. Getting the pipes off I broke 3 bolts in the head, so that meant removing the head (and cylinder, to replace the base gasket) taking it to a machine shop for extraction. The tank was rusted and had to be derusted and coated. The carbs needed cleaning. The seat needed recovered. And the brakes needed work. I was lucky enough to find a good mechanic just a few miles away and he got all the work done for 2g. I consider this a good investment in a bike that should now run for at least 5 years without major work needed. I now have a runner with 17000 miles on it and it runs like it just left the factory. The paint is faded and there's a fair amount of rust on the chromework, but oh well. it runs great. I call it Ratzuki. I'm really pleased with it.
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

Well it sounds like another one was saved from the scrap heap, good going. Welcome to the site and post some pics of the 'Ratzuki' when you get a chance. We all love pictures around here. If you're looking for better chrome pieces post an ad in the 'parts wanted' forum, lots of parts around here.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Welcome to the forum, now post some pics or we won't believe you.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

What ^ he said. Pics or it didn't happen.

Welcome to the site BTW.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Runs great before fussing on the looks?
          You will fit in great here.
          Welcome to the land of GS.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. Sorry I don't do pics, don't have a camera and don't intend to get one. Ive been riding GSs since the late 70s and still think theyre great machines. Started riding in 75 on an old Kawa 175 enduro (total piece of crap but I didn't know anything then.) Moved up to a TS250 and had a lot of fun on it, then traded up to a Yamaha XT500. Still fun but I wanted more so I bought a GS750 in 79 and was very pleased with it. Then Suzuki started building GS1100Es and I bought one new in 81. Greatest bike I ever had, and broke my heart (and my posterior) when I wrecked it in 86. Found an 82 used, bought it and rode it but I have to say it wasn't near as much fun as the 81 (still had that wonderful engine tho.) Found a used 81 GS850 and rode it thru New England one year, then found an 80 GS1000 and kept that for several years till I traded it for a 2000 Triumph triple 900 (nice bike). I was out of biking for a few years then found Ratzuki in a barn and got it back on the road. I hadn't realized how much I missed riding. Its good to find folks who appreciate good motorsickles like you guys.
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

So you come onboard here well versed in the maintenance and upkeep...thats awesome.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ratzuki... cool.
                Welcome.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Near where in Ohio?
                  What is a Ratzuki?
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Excellent getting her back on the road. Yes, pics please and where in Ohio? There are several of us in the Dayton/Cincinnati area.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Man that was good. Just took a short ride thru the farm country here in NW Ohio (Van Wert County) and I wonder why I waited so long to get back into motorcycling. The Ratzuki runs like it just left the factory, and the weather is starting to warm up with all summer ahead. Good Times.
                      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Well, the Ratzuki is still running great but I found cracks in the tread of the front tire, so it's new tire time. what do you guys recommend for a not very fast old Suzi? (81 GS 850G) I don't want to spend a mint on this but a good tire is necessary. Not very fast is my riding style, not the bike's capability.
                        My question is: which tires are good, which are best, which should I stay away from?
                        Last edited by zuluwiz; 05-28-2017, 07:05 AM.
                        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Well I put a set of dunlops on the ratzuki and it rides really good now. getting 41-42 mpg. me like.
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

I took the Ratzuki down to Columbus last month to visit some family. About 140 miles the way I went, which was to stay off the main roads. I took sr81 to Lima, then took sr 309 thru Kenton, almost to Marion. Got off 309 at Big Island and took sr203 down to Delaware. Prettiest part of the trip- warm, sunny early fall back highway, and a stretch by the river too. Not very fast but that's me, old and slow. Got on 315 from Delaware into Columbus, and hated it. Speed limit 65, was doing 70 and getting passed by everyone. Oh well. The trip down took me 4 hours at 43mpg. Next day headed back, took sr161 out of Columbus all the way to the junction with sr29. very nice riding once I got out of the city. I took 29 thru Urbana and Sidney, up to sr119 west of Anna. 119 all the way to Fort Recovery, and then sr 49 home. Again, about 4 hours, 43 mpg, 140 miles, most of it over roads I'd never seen before. Why else would I ride? Got back and discovered the cylinder base gasket had been seeping/spewing oil all the way back, but the engine never missed a beat, ran like a champ all the way there and back. At some point the headlight bulb went, dunno just when. Which I can believe is an invitation to stator troubles, but no sign of it at this point. This trip sure made me glad I rescued the Ratzuki from that barn.
                            1981 GS1100E

Comment

I can almost see the smile on your face!
                              Burned out headlight bulb might be signs of bad r/r - overcharging. You should do the stator/charging tests that we keep hammering away at it, but at least put a multimeter on it to make sure it stays below 15 volts at all times.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X