Fork oil amount - 145 ml or 160 ml?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork oil amount - 145 ml or 160 ml?

I have seen two diffrent numbers for the amount of oil in my fork legs. I have a Suzuki GS400 L from 1980 (I live Denmark/Europe), but I'm looking in a manual that covers all model from 78-87. In that manual it states that I should put 145 ml in each fork leg, so that I did to begin with. But at www.louis.eu where I buy most of my parts, it states that I should add 160 ml per fork leg for my bike. So now I have added 160 ml. Is it okay with the 160 ml per fork leg?

Below, I have attached screendump from Louis with specs
    Specs from Louis.jpg

The Louis sheet you posted is for a GS400E. You have a GS400L. Completely different forks...

Comment

Does your specs provide an air gap measurement? If not, then at most it will be a little stiffer having a smaller air gap. Air compresses, the oil doesn't, ride it and see if it is to your liking. If not just draw out the extra 15ml.
      Last edited by gsrick; 05-08-2017, 09:08 AM.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I haven't been able to find a manual for a 400l - that is why I look at specs for a 400E. I know there could be a difference but the other manual I'm looking in is also for at 400E. I guess I'll try to ride it to see how it feels. However, that will have to wait another 2-3 weeks since I'm in the process of rebuilding it to a cafe racer. It has been on it's way for 6 month, but everything takes time when you are doing everything yourself. Thanks for the replies/answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugge View Post
          I haven't been able to find a manual for a 400l - that is why I look at specs for a 400E. I know there could be a difference but the other manual I'm looking in is also for at 400E. I guess I'll try to ride it to see how it feels. However, that will have to wait another 2-3 weeks since I'm in the process of rebuilding it to a cafe racer. It has been on it's way for 6 month, but everything takes time when you are doing everything yourself. Thanks for the replies/answers.
          From the Suzuki SHOP manual, a 1980-81 GS400L wants 145 ml.

The E also wants 145ml (in countries E22,E28) but 150ml in countries (E02,04) I hope you can do without me looking the country codes up...I can't remember where I have them.
          The later bikes with air forks or antidive mechanisms are a little different.
          Haynes manual has it as "150 cc" but both give the oz as about 5.1 or so imperial.oz

The shop manual istricky. You NEED the one for the 250 and 300s and then a smaller one for the GSX400s...they are so similar, they just made a manual of differences, an "addendum?" for the 400s... at BassCliffs
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-08-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I'd go with the info as provided by Gorminrider since it came from the factory Suzuki manual. That said, the exact amount of oil is not overly important and only affects the amount of air that's trapped in the forks. More air (less oil) means there is less pressure rise in the forks during compression, which can have a small effect on bottoming resistance.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

So I would have thought too (If I do say so myself) BUT INTERESTING is that mugge has a different bike -Not a gsx! (8valve). He's got a different engine- shim type like 450's? and the manual I linked is for GSX which (sigh) Canada, UK,Japan got while Oz and asia? and apparently some Danes got...
              see here

Mind you, that L frame, tank looks a lot like GSX Ls and 450Ls too..so it should still be ok at "145ml"
              .mugge, double check versus Clymer manual for 450's also available via Bass Cliffs. (link above Ness's post).
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-08-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X