Handlebars for a 1978 GS750???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars for a 1978 GS750???

I noticed quite a few on this site have replaced the stock handlebars with "superbike" bars???? I hate the factory bars and will not be putting them back on my rebuilt bike. Anyone have a suggestion as to what bars work best? I'm 6' tall and am looking for a slightly forward riding position. Anyone replaced the stock bars? What brand, rise, pullback and width did you use for you size? Thanks in advance!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

I have these Daytona touring bars on my GS750 and they're quite a bit lower feeling than I thought they would be. I have superbike bars on my GS450 which works for that bike but to be honest wish that the Daytona ones were a couple inches taller.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I have daytona bars on my 78 gs750 too and like them, changed from stock to superbike to daytona. I have some risers on the daytonas to get them a little higher, if you want to be a little forward you would probably like them as is.
      Regards,
      Jason

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just ordered a set of Daytona bars. For $21.00, including shipping, from PartsOutlaw.com, I'll try them!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Thanks for posting that excellent chart, Jason.
          I have to save that one.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Be careful of assuming the name of the bars means the same between vendors. I agree that the Superbike bars and some Daytona bars are too low and tilt you too much forward from the stock GS750 bars and maybe too narrow, making the bike steering a little more effort. You'll also have trouble with the proper rear view with the mirrors and see mostly your shoulders blocking also. The other factor is the brake line, throttle and clutch cables will have to be rerouted or diddled with some with a too low of a bar. I try to go with 30 to 32" width for good leverage, 4 to 5" rise for a fairly neutral sitting position but with a little lean forward for highway speeds, and some mid range(about 5 to 6") pull back to feel right for me and still have the mirrors useful. The stock GS bars have about 7"+ rise and too much pull back. Some GS models will have a set hole in the stock bars for the throttle so the new bar may have to be measured and a hole drilled for secure mount or cut the tab off the throttle, but risk some twisting movement even if 2 mount screws are tightened down.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
              Thanks for the feedback guys. I just ordered a set of Daytona bars. For $21.00, including shipping, from PartsOutlaw.com, I'll try them!
              I never looked at the accessories part of Partsoutlaw, so I looked at the handle bars. I noticed that the handle bars they offer are 1". Our bikes use 7/8" handle bars not 1".

Product Description

• Chrome
              • All styles are 1” diameter
              • Available in standard or with dimples for wiring
              • Not knurled

GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yeah, I questioned that with Shelby at Parts Outlaw and she called their supplier. The website is WRONG! Their bars are all 7/8" diameter. Hopefully they will fix the website soon.
                Ron
                1982 GS1100E
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Just for reference, the above chart is for Bikemaster Bars. They are available in 7/8" from Amazon.
                  Regards,
                  Jason

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                    Yeah, I questioned that with Shelby at Parts Outlaw and she called their supplier. The website is WRONG! Their bars are all 7/8" diameter. Hopefully they will fix the website soon.
                    Good, I'm glad you caught that. That would have sucked having to send them back.

I kind of wondered why the were selling Harley sized bars.
                    GSRick
                    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
                    X