No announcement yet.

GS750E front fork/spring overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha! Yesterday eve I was at a friend of mine to make some acoustic panels and I remembered he was previously working in a motorcycle shop. After he tried everything I already tried (screwdriver, heat-gun etc.) he admitted in his words that "those are the worst f* stuck things ever".

Luckily, spending 15 minutes heating the outside with a heat-gun, then using a large crowbar and a piece of wood strip seemed to finally get some leverage. In the end we got them out

He also argued that the bushing in the inner tube is clamped in there (as there is also a ring on the outside in the same spot where they would've clamped it) and that therefore there isn't a good way to take them out. Thinking about a rechroming process though, I guess it should not really be a problem since the chroming should only stick onto the metal? My guess is nothing will really happen to it, but I'll make a little phonecall just to be sure. Anyone got experience with this?

Also, I figured since the front fork is now taken apart anyway, this might be a good time to get some new wheel bearings? Or is this something I should only do if they actually are damaged? Judging most of the things I find with this bike, I might as well.

Awell, I owe you guys some pictures:

Aftermath

State of things...

Comment

Update:

Jut brought the inner tubes to a rechroming service to get them hard-chromed again. I spoke with a guy there and the bushing on the inside of the tubes is not going to be a problem, since they close both ends. So, inner tube problem fixed AND outer tube problem fixed ^^

Now, to order all the new parts. Anyone know a good place for some nice fork gators?

Comment

So, whilst ordering parts I found some strange things, and would like to give my two cents on this and see what you guys think:

Most diagrams of the front forks online show two spacers with the fork seals. When I pulled the bike apart however I found either none or one below the fork seal, hard to tell because it might also be a part from the seal that separated itself when we pulled it out with force.

Now, I am looking again at everything and I see that my oil drain hole doesn't add up with most images. The drain hole is actually at the SAME side as the brake mounts. Most images show it on the other side. I spent some time again on cmsnl, my regular place to search for parts, but couldn't find one that added up. Finally I find a diagram that doesn't actually show spacers with the fork seals (only the fork seal itself is there) but guess what: drain hole on the other side...

Now finally, smart me finds a parts catalog I downloaded somewhere and after looking at all possible GS750 forks I find one diagram that shows: drain hole on the side of the brake mounts (check!) and one spacer below the fork seals (check, if it was a separate thing I pulled form the fork). Seems to add up. Fork is in that case a GS750DC fork, which would match my frame number I guess.

Long story short: Right diagram found. That was confusing...

Comment

The only way I could get those top bushings out was to take a small sharp chisel and cut the bushing in two, then pry it out by rolling it with a large screwdriver until it broke free. If you leave a mark on the inside of the fork tube where the bushing was, just take a file and smooth it back down. Be careful installing the new bushing as not to mar the teflon surface.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
          X