79 suzuki gs 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 suzuki gs 550

I took apart my side engine over to get to the rotor/stator (alternator) to change the stator.

When I did, there is a sprocket behind the rotor that the starter sprocket engages to start the engine.

I accidentally spun that when I was taking out the stator.

Pardon my ignorance, but that won't throw the timing out of the engine or anything will it?

I am assuming I'm fine but wanted to be sure.

Thanks,
    Danny

No, that's just the idle gear.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
      No, that's just the idle gear.
      In looking at my Clymer manual, I believe it is the "starter clutch set" that I spun. Doesn't the idle gear slide out when the the electric start button is pressed? - that piece you've shown comes off when you take of the cover....

Comment

You're fine as long as the gears engage when you put the cover back on - there's no timing of the starter clutch to worry about.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by danbobberino View Post
            In looking at my Clymer manual, I believe it is the "starter clutch set" that I spun. Doesn't the idle gear slide out when the the electric start button is pressed? - that piece you've shown comes off when you take of the cover....
            Nothing slides out on a motorcycle starter. It is gear to gear to gear. The idle gear is just a free wheel gear. When you hit the button the starter spins the idle gear which in turn spins the gear on the back of the starter clutch. The starter clutch grabs the crankshaft and spins it until the engine fires up. Once the engine fires up, the starter clutch free wheels and all the gears stop spinning.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Working...
            X