1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Hi everybody. My name is Nick and this is my current project bike.

I picked up this bike from another member of the forums here in Mesa AZ. I brought it home on 05/05/2017 and started working on it on 05/06. She had quite a few electrical issues that I went after first. there were a few melted wires that I fixed as well as some spliced ones that were just twisted together. The other issue was that I bought it with really no history to speak of, the other member had bought it from someone to use as a project bike as well. All I knew was that it didn't run, and the ODO has 37500 on it. it has a clean title and a hideous paint job, (Purple/Red).

After going through and fixing the immediate wiring issues I went after the non functioning starter button. After some extensive searching I found that there is supposed to be a ground coming off of the Starter relay. As soon as I added a proper ground, and bypassed the clutch switch, the bike was able to crank without jumping the posts on the relay.

One of the pieces that the bike is missing is the choke or Starter cable (silly name for a choke cable) and the lever set up for it on the left controls. I currently have those pieces on order from a local Suzuki dealer. Luckily there are still a few of each available. Those parts should get to me next week some time. regardless not having a choke cable and lever wasnt going to stop me from trying to get the bike to start. so out came a long screw driver and the starter fluid. so I opened the choke on the carbs, sprayed some starter fluid in there and hoped for the best.

the bike fired up on the first try. I had heard these things were bullet proof...but wow...

So after tinkering around with the starter fluid for a bit, I decided to put the tank on, hook it up, and put some gas in it. again, just holding the choke open and hitting the starter button, the bike fired right up. so now that I have a running and driving bike, I'll be going through some of the other gremlins, and hope to have it on the road in the next couple of weeks.

things it needs:
    I need to get side fairings for it,
    the correct front fender. the one that was on it was backwards, and wont bolt up when trying to put it n the right way
    the correct seat. current one is from a GS1100L I believe, and the sissy bar wont be going back on it

Current items on the list are:

1. front brake lever not activating the brake light. the rear works fine. the wires coming off of my lever are solid gray, and solid black......I'm not seeing where the matches are for them in the headlight bucket.
    2. Checking the front and rear brakes for proper safety. The brakes seem to hold the bike still when applied, so I think they are ok, but will be looking in to a fluid flush, braided lines, and at least new pads.
    3. misc. wires that seem to have no home.
    4. carb cleaning if needed. The bike seems to idle pretty good once warmed up, and im sure it will be better once I get the choke taken care of. I'm also going to be going over all the gaskets that hold the rubber pieces in place. don't need any vacuum leaks or anything.
    5. The tires are decent. they don't seem to have any dry rot or anything, so I am going to feel those out and replace if needed.
    6. The chain looks pretty old. I was reading about a 520/530 conversion which would probably be a good thing to do
    7. my wife tells me I am not allowed to take the bike out of the garage until it is painted a different color....LOL
    8. Instrument panel lights. have to have everything lit up properly.
    9. fork seals and check the rear suspension to make sure all is good.
    10. while running right now, and the RPM drops off the motor/trans have a lot of chatter. I'll be looking in to whether anything else is needed to be fixed/replaced. when the idle is up on it it sounds pretty good. I'm sure that the valves will probably need adjusting, and am wondering if it needs a clutch as well.

future upgrades:
    LED light conversion. (lights, relay). I'm not sure if I am going to look in to replacing bulbs, or the turn signals themselves.
    GSXR front end swap
    I'll be looking for a front fairing that I like, and may go with a Wes Cooley fairing or something similar.

I think that is it for now. if anyone has any insight on anything please share, otherwise I will be scouring the forums here to hopefully work through these issues.

Thanks for looking at my project!!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2017, 01:39 AM.

Hi welcome aboard. The rattle in the clutch could be a loose nut that holds the clutch basket. The OEM nuts are soft and can loosen. APE has a hardened $30 nut but it is a standard upgrade.
    If you are going to do any racing a HD clutch also might be in order. Sometime you can find them on ebay for much cheaper than the prices you see at APE.

SUZUKI HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH HUB NUT -
    CLUTCH HUB NUT
    The factory Suzuki hub nuts are soft, allowing the threads to deform and come loose. This allows the hub assembly to wobble. The APE nuts are CNC machined from heat treated chrome moly steel. End of problem.

SHN1150 Suzuki GS1100 / GS1150 $29.95

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Hi welcome aboard. The rattle in the clutch could be a loose nut that holds the clutch basket. The OEM nuts are soft and can loosen. APE has a hardened $30 nut but it is a standard upgrade.
      If you are going to do any racing a HD clutch also might be in order. Sometime you can find them on ebay for much cheaper than the prices you see at APE.
      Thanks posplayr!

I'll definitely look in to that. I'm not sure I'll be doing much racing with this thing. The plan first is to just getting it running and reliable on the street. after that maybe start making some upgrades. All-though if replacing parts if there is something better aftermarket than stock, I'll probably explore the option. oh, and hello Neighbor!

Comment

Howdy from next door (New Mexico). I'm glad for you to have started the engine and hear it run. It sounded from the for sale ad to be taken apart, engine out of frame and all.

You mentioned upgrading to LED lights. Definitely look through the links in Posplayr's signature and read up on GS electrics before going too far with that. You'll save yourself a TON of grief with a healthy charging system.

Also real good stuff here if you haven't seen it. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...Won-t-Run-Well
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Howdy from next door (New Mexico). I'm glad for you to have started the engine and hear it run. It sounded from the for sale ad to be taken apart, engine out of frame and all.

You mentioned upgrading to LED lights. Definitely look through the links in Posplayr's signature and read up on GS electrics before going too far with that. You'll save yourself a TON of grief with a healthy charging system.

Also real good stuff here if you haven't seen it. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...Won-t-Run-Well
          Thanks Burque73! I haven't read up too much on the LED stuff yet, so I'll definitely be fully researching that out before I do anything else. I think the bike showed worse in the pics than it did in person. She is mostly complete except for a few small things (choke cable/lever, and side fairings), and I was very surprised at how little it actually needed to get it to this stage. It was mostly just electrical issues that needed to be sorted out I think. However I have yet to try and put it in gear to see how the trans is. I want to get the choke in place and shore up a few other things before going that far. I was just excited to here it fire up so quick.

I learned my lesson on a previous bike that I was working on, not to pull too many things apart before making sure that the engine/trans/electrical were all good. Without those three things and a clean title they are giant headaches.

Comment

so looking at the wiring diagram off of BikeCliff's site for the rear brake, it looks like the wires from the brake should be connected to the orange/Green and red/blue wires in the harness. Can someone please confirm? I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, or if it is valid for the 83 GS1100E. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nschultz View Post
              so looking at the wiring diagram off of BikeCliff's site for the rear brake, it looks like the wires from the brake should be connected to the orange/Green and red/blue wires in the harness.
              I just went and had a look in the garage. That is how it is connected on my 82 1100E.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                I just went and had a look in the garage. That is how it is connected on my 82 1100E.

Mark
                Thank you for that Mark! does yours have the grey black wires off the brake lever as well? Which do you have going to the O/G - R/BL? From what I have read, the original switch for this had different colored wires than what I have on this bike.

Comment

Thank you for that Mark! does yours have the grey black wires off the brake lever as well? Which do you have going to the O/G - R/BL? From what I have read, the original switch for this had different colored wires than what I have on this bike.
                  I have orange and white wires off the brake switch. Orange goes to orange/green and white to red/blue.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have orange and white wires off the brake switch. Orange goes to orange/green and white to red/blue.

Mark
                    Thanks for the followup. Sounds like Im going to have to play with them to figure it out.

Comment

I have a lot of 82 1100 stuff that I can part with. Pm or email me if interested
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                        I have a lot of 82 1100 stuff that I can part with. Pm or email me if interested
                        thanks! I definitely will. I just ordered a new clutch switch, front brake switch, turn signal relay, and a seat that is in good condition. I'm hoping to have the bike on the street for a Father's Day ride with friends in Phoenix.

Comment

So, I found out that the master cylinder for the front brakes is most likely a Yamaha unit. So the front brake switch I ordered won't work with it.....I went out and got a banjo bolt with a hydrolic switch to put on it. Hopefully that cures the front brake switch issue.

The relay for the turn signals that I received is a 2 prong instead of a 3 prong on the bike, Does anyone know of an alternate or easily available flasher relay that can be substituted in?

The seat should be here Monday.

My choke lever parts and cable came in, so I got that put on the bike, and wired up the accelerator cable as well. The choke cable works great, but when it's running, if I try to give it any gas the bike just stalls. So I'm sure the carbs need cleaning. An O ring kit will be ordered shortly. Also I'll be ordering the valve cover gasket so that I can get the valves adjusted as well. I think I read somewhere that there are no shims needed for the valve adjustment, can anyone confirm?
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Also I'll be ordering the valve cover gasket so that I can get the valves adjusted as well. I think I read somewhere that there are no shims needed for the valve adjustment, can anyone confirm?
                            No shims, the 16 valve 1100E uses screw and locknut adjusters. You will want a tool for turning the adjuster, which can be bought from Suzuki (look in your service manual) or made from a #2 Robertson screw and a piece of dowel. The top of the adjuster looks like a #2 Robertson screwdriver bit so you need a tool that looks like the screw head half of the connection. You will also want two sets of feeler gauges so you can set both sides of the rocker at the same time to avoid any twisting of the rocker. The rockers are forked and one cam lobe opens both valves together, which will be obvious when you open her up.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

No shims, the 16 valve 1100E uses screw and locknut adjusters. You will want a tool for turning the adjuster, which can be bought from Suzuki (look in your service manual) or made from a #2 Robertson screw and a piece of dowel. The top of the adjuster looks like a #2 Robertson screwdriver bit so you need a tool that looks like the screw head half of the connection. You will also want two sets of feeler gauges so you can set both sides of the rocker at the same time to avoid any twisting of the rocker. The rockers are forked and one cam lobe opens both valves together, which will be obvious when you open her up.

Mark
                              Thank you Mark!

I spent some more time in the garage and searching the site and found BikeCliffs how to on the flasher relay replacement. After reading through it and running to autozone, I now have working turn signals. I think tomorrow I'm going to try and work on getting the hydrolic switch into the master cylinder to see if I can get the front brake to light up the brake light.

Comment

Working...
                              X