Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Wont Disengage. Help

Hey guys!
    first post here, long time lurker. So I took my clutch apart on my 79' GS1000 because of the famous rattle and found the main basket nut was lose, easy fix. I took all of my plates off just to inspect while I was there. Everything is within spec.
    Now my clutch wont disengage. I cant even fire the bike up on neutral!

I thought it was the cable at first but tonight I took the cable off, turned the clutch lever (at the crankcase) towards the outside, put a pipe on it and turned it as far as I could and the bike still launched forward when I try firing it up.

Any Ideas?

I would really hate to open it back up and lose all that new oil.

THanks
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2017, 09:05 PM.

Cant say I like the sound of you using a pipe on the actuating arm. Hope you haven't broken something....

Sounds like you've reassembled the clutch incorrectly somehow.

If you push the front wheel onto a 2 inch block of wood and sit it on the sidestand you wont lose any oil when you take the cover back off.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

ooh awesome thanks for the tip about the wooden block.

I was careful with the pipe just used it to actuate the arm and make sure the cable was doing its job

Comment

I may have overtighteb the nut. The inner hub should spin freely from the outer one right? When in neutral. Mine are not and i tighten then it per the manual. 50 ft lb.

Comment

The inner and outer hub spinning has nothing to do with what gear you're in. Did you lubricate all the clutch plates first before you assembled the clutch? It's a wet clutch and the plates must be lubricated for the clutch to disengage properly. Try riding the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and rev the engine. Usually, this dislodges the plates and everything should be good after that. That's assuming that you have the clutch assembled correctly and the cable adjusted properly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yeah I tried the riding it in gear and nothing. I mean about the inner and outer hub is that the inner hub goes to the transmission and the outer to the motor. So in neutral and without the plates I should be able to spin the inner hub by hand? separate from the outer hub?

Comment

Originally posted by SynchroMoto View Post
              Yeah I tried the riding it in gear and nothing. I mean about the inner and outer hub is that the inner hub goes to the transmission and the outer to the motor. So in neutral and without the plates I should be able to spin the inner hub by hand? separate from the outer hub?

They will only turn separately when the clutch lever is pulled in.
              Alan

sigpic
              Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
              Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
              Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                They will only turn separately when the clutch lever is pulled in.
                He said there are no plates in it and it's in neutral. Something is really wrong if the centre hub doesn't turn under those conditions.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                  He said there are no plates in it and it's in neutral. Something is really wrong if the centre hub doesn't turn under those conditions.
                  Thanks hillsy, I must have read the plates post too fast
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Hey so I figured out what I did wrong..... I'm going to attribute my stupidity to the fact that I have a newborn at home and the lack of sleep, thats my story and I'm stickying to it.

I wanted to post it in case someone else does the same thing in the future.
                    basically I didn't aligned the tabs that link the oil pump gear and the primary drive. Aligned those and the it works like new.....

Thanks for the help

Comment

I was just getting ready to post that you probably had not aligned the oil pump gears
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                      X