Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS850GL is it worth putting an oil cooler on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL is it worth putting an oil cooler on it?

1982 GS850GLZ, is it worth spending the money to put an oil cooler on it? Daily rider, weekend touring.

If yes, does anyone have any suggestions.. like which brand or what bike to get one from. I will wind up contacting someone for the switch plate mod if this is cost and performance effective.

Thanks,

Functionality wise ... if you are not racing in the desert - no, it's usually not needed.

If you like the looks, it may be worth it.
    400-500 bucks for a new modern set, cheaper if you
    can find the period-correct Lockhart cooler.

You need a thermostat too, otherwise the engine needs
    a long time to warm up and increased engine wear may
    occur.
    Last edited by Rijko; 05-12-2017, 05:39 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
      1982 GS850GLZ, is it worth spending the money to put an oil cooler on it? Daily rider, weekend touring.

If yes, does anyone have any suggestions.. like which brand or what bike to get one from. I will wind up contacting someone for the switch plate mod if this is cost and performance effective.

Thanks,
      Chris, we live in "it's freakin hot" Florida. If you can afford it, it's a no-brainer.

I'm no expert on aftermarket stuff, but I've heard of Lockhart somewhere.

Oh yeah, I grew up in Lockhart.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

My wife's '82 GS850GL (don't need the "Z", it's redundant) has lived for many a mile going across the plains of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and into Colorado without a cooler. Never bothered to measure any wear factors before and after, but it certainly does not seem to have been damaged in the process. Oh, yeah, it was the summer of 2005, temps were over 100 each day.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

37 years ago a Suzuki Factory mech trainer once told me that Suzuki tested bikes in the Mojave desert.
          I assume it gets very warm there.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The hottest my 1000G ever got was from flogging it over a mountain (and back, and over again) in WV. I could smell it. It didn't get that hot on a track day. The only way to get an 850 hotter in Florida would be to leave it running while parked. Or stuck in traffic. Or towing a camper.

An oil temperature gauge is a fun thing to have installed, to see what kinds of riding yield what kinds of temperatures. Mine died of vibration, but not before it confirmed that stock cooling was enough for the hottest days. Basically, a stock engine delivered without an oil cooler isn't ever going to need one. If you build a motor up to make more power, that's another story.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What I'd rather have instead of a oil cooler would be a fan. On hot days sitting in traffic it would be nice to be able to hit a switch and kick on a couple of high output fans. You could mount them on the frame horn mounting aria...
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I know they make fans for Harleys! You could probably mount them on a Suzuki without much trouble. The ones that I have seen work automatically off of a thermo switch. When the engine reaches a set temp, the fans kick on.
                Last edited by 1978GS750E; 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM.
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                X