Any 1980 GS400S owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 1980 GS400S owners out there?

I recently picked up a 1980 GS400S and I am having a heck of a time finding parts for it. None of the local Suzuki dealers or part suppliers have any record of the bike existing. I'm wondering if it is essentially the same bike as the 1980 GS450S. If so, are all the parts interchangeable?

IMG_1676.jpg

If the bike you're talking about is the one in your sig, it looks like the 450 we had here in the states, but it doesn't appear to be something partsoutlaw.com has a listing of.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

No need to reinvent the wheel:

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Daryl thought I could use a picture of a Canadian Suzuki 1980 GS400S picture. I surely could... The model was sold in Europe under the name GSX400S, as were all the other 16 valve GS series bikes.
      1980 Suzuki GS400S

Owner: Daryl Park, Canada

Comments: “Prior to my obtaining this GS400S, I couldn’t find anything on the internet that would indicate the GS400S came in red or even existed in 1980. The VIN didn’t seem to match anything out there and trying to cross-reference a replacement battery was a chore at the local Suzuki dealerships.

The closest I could come to finding a replica picture of this bike was on your web site for a 1981 GS450. I later found out from the dealerships that the GS400 was converted to the GS450 and all parts are identical. None the less, the original bill of sales does indicate that this little GS400S is truly 1980 here bought here in Canada.

I’m in the process of selling this bike as I’m not a collector of old bikes, but just an individual wanting to ride.

The bike was ridden for a couple of months back in 1980 and accumulated 977 km. It was then stored in a garage for the next 27ish years unridden.

When I took ownership of this bike in July of this year, 2007, I added another 446 km. It’s like riding a brand new bike.”
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Given the proximity of the poster above to the OP of this thread, with those funky bar-end mirrors, this could be the same motorcycle
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          If the bike you're talking about is the one in your sig, it looks like the 450 we had here in the states, but it doesn't appear to be something partsoutlaw.com has a listing of.
          Apparently the 400 was never imported into the states. I'm not sure if it was only for Canada.

Comment

So Daryl says all the parts are identical but would that include carb parts? I'm fairly new to motorcycles so I could use some help here. Wouldn't the jets be different?

Comment

is this the same bike, with an incredibly low number of km's still ?

Did you buy it from Daryl ?

What parts are you looking for ?
              And why - like are the jets no good anymore ?
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                is this the same bike, with an incredibly low number of km's still ?

Did you buy it from Daryl ?

What parts are you looking for ?
                I didn't buy it from Daryl, I was just referring to that comment. It may be the same bike but I don't think so. Mine has 33000 Km on it.

So far I've just had to get an oil filter, battery, and master cylinder and they have matched the GS450S but I think I will have to rebuild the carbs so I'm not sure if they will match. The local dealer hasn't been any help. They want me to bring in the parts to match them up but I don't want to disassemble my bike if it's going to be weeks to order the parts I need.

Comment

at 33.000 km the carbs probably need a good cleaning,
                  usually there is no need for new jets.

The dealer is right to want to see the parts,
                  the 450 may have been rejetted.
                  But with new float bowl gaskets the carbs can be
                  put together again, no need to wait for weeks.
                  The dealer will probably order some o-rings and other parts.

Will you rebuild the carbs yourself, do you have
                  experience with that ?
                  Last edited by Rijko; 05-12-2017, 09:20 PM.
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Will you rebuild the carbs yourself, do you have
                    experience with that ?
                    I'll be doing it myself. I have rebuilt the carb on my single cylinder snowblower but never on a twin cylinder motorcycle. Hopefully I'm not in over my head. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

you may want to read this guide to see if you want to do it yourself :

O-rings can be ordered here : http://www.cycleorings.com
                      I would order the o-rings that go between intake boots and cylinder
                      head, too. The old ones are likely hard and if the carbs are off the
                      bike anyway, they should be replaced.
                      Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

Comment

you may want to read this guide to see if you want to do it yourself :
                        Thanks for the PDF. That's awesome. Seems fairly straight forward.

Comment

happy to help, the pdf is hosted and created by awesome forum members.

Lots of info on BikeCliff's site http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/
                          Also on carb synchronizing which you want to do afterwards.
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

There is one difference in what was sent to the states, our 450s were only 2 valves per cylinder.
                            GSRick
                            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Goto a motorcycle store that is used to suzukis. Parts ordering should not be a problem IF THEY ARE AVAILABLE....many will not be except from wrecks.
                              In Canada, these were simply 1980 GS400 but YOU must know exactly what it is you wnt and look over their shoulder while they twiddle with fiches online...Your Bike is really a GSx400E (=4 valves per cylinder and TSCC (twin swirl combustion chamber) with a fairing -see suzuki.org linked above.
                              sometimes, your bike will have an extra letter added T being 1980 ,X being 81 but the 80 and 81 GSX400 are identical.

Your bike lso shares lot with GS250s and 300s sold in the States.They all use the same shop manual... The clue per GSX motors re the Square Cam Covers.
                              Body parts, tires electrics and more are same as 450 as you can see plainly from pix above

You can get part numbers to take to your supplier at this European site
                              We offer best Suzuki motorcycle parts for some of the famous models like Suzuki GS550, Suzuki intruder 800 Suzuki GSXR 1000, Suzuki A100, Suzuki Katana etc.

carbs are slightly different than 450...but also much is similar .

GOTO twins thred and look around in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X