2nd Helmet Lock? - Need Measurements from 78 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Helmet Lock? - Need Measurements from 78 750

So I'm having a crack in my frame repaired (see this thread:http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-frame-toast-!) and dropped it off today.

After dropping it off, I thought about how annoying it is that I can't lock up my passenger's helmet when I'm out 2-up... Why not have him weld on a 2nd tab under the seat while he's got the frame?

Would someone with a '78 GS750E be able to help me out with some measurements?

I'd need a measurement from the existing helmet hook under the seat to a spot that would be hidden/out of the way when not in use, and that wouldn't interfere with anything like the seat closing, etc. but be far enough away from the existing hook that 2 full face helmets would fit next to each other...

Thanks in advance!
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Can't help you with measurements, but I've always been able to get both helmets on the hook. Just turn the 2nd one over
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I made a little tether for my helmet(s). I'll post a picture later (I'm not home right now)
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Here's my little 1/16" cable tether. I twist it into a little pretzel when it's not in use.

Comment

Do you let your helmet touch the pipe?! No one's ever said it, but I always thought the heat could damage the helmet somehow. Am I just being paranoid?
          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
            Do you let your helmet touch the pipe?! No one's ever said it, but I always thought the heat could damage the helmet somehow. Am I just being paranoid?
            Generally no, I don't. It's pretty easy to prop it on the footrest. I don't think the heat would damage the helmet. Maybe if it melted it'd damage the pipe, though

Comment

I have the kind where it's just a metal hook on the frame that's locked and unlocked by the seat lock... Maybe I can rig up something similar though
              sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Working...
              X