Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sheet metal tips

Was a journeyman sheet metal mec for years. Can't see the need for any heavy metal for pans and such. 16 or 18 gage metal would be plenty strong, the bigger the number the thinner the metal. You might consider rivets instead of welding, either solid or pop will do. Solid rivets are stronger and can be pounded flat, come in mild, stainless, brass, copper or aluminum. McMaster karr is a good source for those. 16/18 gage can be bent nicely without a break. Scrap sheet steel can usually be found at steel yards or heating and ac businesses, let your fingers do the walking, should not cost more than a couple bucks for steel that you need.

V
    Last edited by gustovh; 05-15-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Google "bend allowance" as pertaining to sheet metal.
    Dont forget "setback" if you want it to be dimensionally correct to a drawing!

You also need to be aware of grain direction of you don't want it to crack when you bend, also what is the radius of the bar on your bender? For .050" you will need at least a 1/8, preferably a 5/16 radius.

There is much more to bending the metal (aluminum) if you want it to not crack.
    Last edited by Fjbj40; 05-15-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, Mikuni BST34SS, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
    1983 Gs1100ESD, going under the knife this winter

Quote Originally Posted by gustovh View Post
    Was a journeyman sheet metal mec for years. Can't see the need for any heavy metal for pans and such. 16 or 18 gage metal would be plenty strong, the bigger the number the thinner the metal. You might consider rivets instead of welding, either solid or pop will do. Solid rivets are stronger and can be pounded flat, come in mild, stainless, brass, copper or aluminum. McMaster karr is a good source for those. 16/18 gage can be bent nicely without a break. Scrap sheet steel can usually be found at steel yards or heating and ac businesses, let your fingers do the walking, should not cost more than a couple bucks for steel that you need.

V
    I never thought about asking a HVAC place! I just don't want to go to lowes 35 bucks for a small sheet of 16 or 18. The sheet metal places around here don't sell to the public in such a small amount.
    1980 GS850G

Iíve been using the free version of Fusion 360 to design the parts. This worked well for my simple two-dimensional water-jet-cut parts, but the software doesnít model sheet metal bending.

Iíve thought about trying the free eMachineShop software. It models sheet metal bends. The eMachineShop people give free price quotes & will make the part from the software output.

Has anyone used the eMachineShop software & had them make the part?

Some HVAC shops may have smaller scraps lying around for a pittance...too small for what they'd need to work with but the right size for you... might be worth a few phone calls to find out.
    If you have a custom automotive fab shop close they can bead roll areas for you to...to add strength to any flats and combat flex. They should have brakes and shears too...and scraps.

Eons ago I used 6065 aluminum plate stock for custom rear set mounting plates for my kawi H-2...same tensil strength as mild steal but a fraction of the weight...5000 series is good too...7000 series is tuff stuff, but most likely over-kill for this and expensive.
    '80 GS850G {13K}
    '80 GS1000G {30K}
    '40 Plymouth touring - wife calls her my other wife{79k...leaks oil, but she's got great curves}
    '08 Avalon - DD/cage{166k...doesn't burn or leak oil}