Bright spot in gauge lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bright spot in gauge lighting

Is there anything other than a bright bulb that can cause an annoying bright spot at the top of a speedo? When I replaced the gauge cluster after the crash, I kept the speedo, because the odometer is correct (in my mind). Everything else, including the bulbs, came from the replacement.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Any chance the bulb got knocked out of position and is now closer to the back of the gauge face?

Does it look like a small enough bright spot to be that, or is it a larger area, which might be part of a mask that has broken off?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IIRC I noticed the same issue on my dash – top of speedo brighter than the whole rest –, but it isn't pronounced enough to bother me.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The bright spot is roughly 20 mm wide, with the lower parts of the gauge poorly illuminated (or seem so, compared to the tach). I suppose that kind of data might have been useful when I asked the original question.

I dug out my spare speedo to refresh my memory of how many bulbs there are and where. Just the one, and it's directly behind where I see the bright spot. I looked inside, and there is a shade directly in front of the bulb. It's pretty stout: A little piece of bent sheet metal, probably 0.8 mm. I don't think I could have damaged that in the crash without enough acceleration to smash the whole thing to bits. I'll have to make a little project of getting back in there to check on it, and see if maybe the bulb looks wrong or damaged somehow. I might swap the old tach back in while I'm at it. The replacement has the remains of a spider showing in the fuel gauge now, and is slow to follow the engine down to idle from about 2k.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Dale, even the speedometers on both of our bikes are brighter on the top than the bottom thanks to just that one light. I had thought, at one time, to maybe install a second light but after looking at it, I'm not sure it's possible. I'd love to find a way to illuminate the entire gauge better
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A little piece of bent sheet metal, probably 0.8 mm. I don't think I could have damaged that in the crash(...)
            I have found that the superglue holding these shades doesn't hold up very well after 30yrs. Mine came loose in a crash.

Also, the speedo on my 550s have two bulbs? (See the second picture in this post: Clicky.)
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
              I have found that the superglue holding these shades doesn't hold up very well after 30yrs. Mine came loose in a crash.

Also, the speedo on my 550s have two bulbs? (See the second picture in this post: Clicky.)
              Oh, they're glued in? OK, I can see it becoming dislodged in a crash, then. Hmm. In the image it looks more like a spot-weld sort of thing. Hmmm. Tomorrow evening I should have time to get into mine to see if that shade is missing.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Dale, even the speedometers on both of our bikes are brighter on the top than the bottom thanks to just that one light. I had thought, at one time, to maybe install a second light but after looking at it, I'm not sure it's possible. I'd love to find a way to illuminate the entire gauge better
              Scott, that bright spot was definitely not there before my crash. I can remember on several night rides marveling at how even the illumination was with just one or two incandescent bulbs, and wondering how it was done. It sounds as if we'd both like to solve the same problem.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

OK, I finally took time to get back into those gauges, and found a bunch of humility gumming up the works. I thought the speedo was lit with only one bulb, but there's a second at the bottom I failed to notice on the spare. Which is why the bottom of my speedo looked so dim. That bulb was toast. A quick replacement from the old gauges fixed that pretty quickly. The top third of the gauge might still be a little brighter, but I might be imagining that.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I just happen to have the original speedo cup opened up...the PO had gotten in there and removed whatever the speed sensor was..and he removed the whole timer box too, so I opened it up just to see what was in there. Those bulb shrouds are glued in but as said...old glue and a good whack, and they could get knocked out. Problem is that on this gauge one has to uncrimp the meter face to get into it...a real pita.
                  speedo cup and light bulb shroud 001.jpg

Comment

Here's one of the bulb shrouds...speedo cup and light bulb shroud 002.jpg

Comment

Oh, now I get where there would be glue. OK. Thanks for the pics. It didn't click for me when I looked at roeme's pics.

So, if one of these got dislodged, you could theoretically pull it back into place with a dental hook and carefully re-glue it without having to open the gauge.
                      Last edited by Dogma; 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

If your that lucky to pull that off...quickly go buy a lottery ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                          If your that lucky to pull that off...quickly go buy a lottery ticket!
                          Well, just an idea for something to try before opening the thing.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Hey, you can try...right? However, that cover is a wrap of sorts...to keep tension. If you look at the second pic you might see where it overlaps - other side of the tall section. You'd have to fish it in place first, then pull it back knowing it'll need an assist to get over the plastic step inside of the gauge....like I said..if you pull all that off - go buy a lottery ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                              Hey, you can try...right? However, that cover is a wrap of sorts...to keep tension. If you look at the second pic you might see where it overlaps - other side of the tall section. You'd have to fish it in place first, then pull it back knowing it'll need an assist to get over the plastic step inside of the gauge....like I said..if you pull all that off - go buy a lottery ticket!
                              Surgeons do stranger things, and according to a study by Dunning and Kreuger, I should be better at it than them.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X