Popping a head off GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping a head off GS1000

A little while ago my cylinder head started leaking through the cam chain tunnel and through the head gasket on No1 piston side where the 'O' ring is situated. Usual things for these to go and I used to swap them out in the 1980's in an hour or so.

Now, nearly 35 years later I have to do it again.

So my question is any tricks or tips on getting a 36 year old cylinder head off without popping the barrels and having to get new rings, base gaskets, 'O' rings and all when I just need to do the cylinder head.

Cheers

Most will advise to do the base gasket when you are doing the head gasket; more than likely it will be disturbed and start to leak if you don't. I would check compression (after valve adjust)to see if it needed rings before tearing into it.
    I think you can leave out the cam tunnel o-ring if you get the newer style mls head gasket.
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

If you want to take the chance, you could run a strap around the cylinders so that it fits into the fins and then run a strap from one side to the other under the frame to try and eliminate any movement. Just be really careful with those fins. I'm thinking of trying that to replace the gasket on my 1000, let me know how that works out.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

In just doing a head gasket only it's a lot cheaper than the whole lot. Here in the UK you are looking at a little over £1000 just for the rings alone which is more than the bikes worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki Mad View Post
          In just doing a head gasket only it's a lot cheaper than the whole lot. Here in the UK you are looking at a little over £1000 just for the rings alone which is more than the bikes worth.
          You don't have to replace the rings when doing the gaskets or removing the cylinders, unless there is a lot of smoking going on when it's running and they just need to be replaced.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Order the rings from the USA. They are about $38USD/hole.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCloud View Post
              Most will advise to do the base gasket when you are doing the head gasket; more than likely it will be disturbed and start to leak if you don't. I would check compression (after valve adjust)to see if it needed rings before tearing into it.
              I think you can leave out the cam tunnel o-ring if you get the newer style mls head gasket.
              agreed, this is a totally different situation than the one 35 years ago,
              the bike has had a long life since then.

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
              You don't have to replace the rings when doing the gaskets or removing the cylinders, unless there is a lot of smoking going on when it's running and they just need to be replaced.
              Agreed, if compression is ok and no smoke, just leave the rings on.
              If the engine runs well, there is no reason it would not do so after
              a gasket refresh.

New rings and clips will set you back £200 ish.
              ✓access the CRANKSHAFT schematic✓find Suzuki CRANKSHAFT spares easily✓OEM parts online available

Cost may be higher if you find a worn cam chain, cracked cam chain
              guides, etc so i understand your reluctance to open the engine more than necessary.

On the other hand, if you invest time and money and find out you
              have to open the engine again ... i would at least replace base gasket,
              cylinder o-rings and oil stud o-rings.
              Think Murphy will make sure it will leak if you don't

Lap valves and replace valve seals while the head is off .. just
              to be sure. Low cost, best practice.
              Last edited by Rijko; 05-14-2017, 08:36 PM.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Order the rings from the USA. They are about $38USD/hole.
                I did buy from the USA 10 years ago as it was cheaper but few companies now ship to the UK especially the Suzuki dealers. So I dont have any options on doing that now.

Comment

She's only done 40,000 miles from new. NO smoke, starts first time in the button and runs like a dream even with the oil leaks.

But as she's my bit of fun bike the cost of what you guy's are suggesting this will get rolled back into the back of the garage and be left till another time in the future, read that as never.

Comment

Maybe you can first try to re-torque the head. Increased clamping force may slow down the oil leaks.
                    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Personaly I would do the base gasket and all the orings as well.
                      if you were to just do the head gasket and then find out you have leaks on the base it's do it all again along with the extra cost.
                      Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM.
                      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                      past bikes. RF900
                      TL1000s
                      Hayabusa
                      gsx 750f x2
                      197cc Francis Barnett
                      various British nails

Comment

She's only done 40,000 miles from new. NO smoke, starts first time in the button and runs like a dream even with the oil leaks.

But as she's my bit of fun bike the cost of what you guy's are suggesting this will get rolled back into the back of the garage and be left till another time in the future, read that as never.
                        don't give up on a nice bike that runs like a dream !

Sounds like you have the front fork sorted with NOS tubes and all that,
                        a base gasket and small parts will only set you back £50.

And if that puts it over the top, try re-torque the head like 2BRacing suggests,
                        it may slow down or stop the leak.
                        Forget about new rings if it runs well.
                        These bikes run forever even with a small oil leak, hope you find the
                        motivation to help her on the road and enjoy a great GS1000.
                        Last edited by Rijko; 05-15-2017, 07:36 PM.
                        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

The base gasket (at least on my 750) is 10% of what a head gasket costs. Why not go ahead and replace it for just a little more money?

With that said, I currently have my engine apart. This is the only motor I've ever touched, but I'm convinced I could simply replace the head gasket and be OK. I think these are the original 40 yr old gaskets. The amount of effort required to lift the cylinder off suggests to me the base gasket was unaffected when I pulled off the head. Fab up some kinda spreader as shown in the manual instead of beating on it with a mallet and the base gasket would be even better off.

My last twist is that I have the motor off the bike, moved up a flight of stairs, and sitting in my apartment. I NEVER want to do this again and I needed to install an endless cam chain so I did pull the cylinders. I'm replacing the rings and honing the cylinders. The difference in price is about $150 ($130 for rings plus $20 for gasket and O rings). I guess the hone itself is another $25. Seems worth it to ensure I won't have to do this again, at least until I have a nice garage to play in.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                          X