'77 GS750 starter clutch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS750 starter clutch problems

Hi all, I've read through some past posts and haven't been able to find something quite like my issue, so I'll be happy to go read any if anyone remembers the last time they answered this.

My GS750's electric starter isn't getting the engine going. The starter motor actually is working fine, it whirs and turns like it should, and spins the bigger gear that's right behind the clutch and magnet/flywheel (correct my terminology if I'm off). However the clutch and magnet aren't spinning at all like I'm thinking they should.

So first - do I have that right? Big gear is spinning, so the rotor-clutch component should spin too. If so, is the clutch the problem here? And if it is, how do I get the damn rotor/clutch off? I've seen a bunch about clutch removal bolts online but the size and threading to this crankshaft bolt had the guy at Home Depot thinking I pulled it out of an alternate universe.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom.

Do you hear a clunking noise just before the starter clutch is engaged?
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

If it is just a matter of not spinning fast enough it could be something simpler like your battery.

Welcome to the site.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Steve, thanks for that link. No clunking noise at all here. Reading the post, I'm realizing that the large gear behind the clutch isn't touching the clutch at all! It's a good 1/2-3/4in separated from the clutch so it makes sense nothing else is spinning. So I wonder if something's not on there right.

I also just compared the setup on the bike to an extra rotor, clutch and gear setup I've got and the three clutch screws are definitely missing on the bike. So now I'm down to the question of how I get this rotor off because it will not budge.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

So the starter motor is turning...the gear behind the rotor is turning...but the crank isn't?

Then you have a problem with the starter clutch....either the rollers are not engaging or it has been assembled incorrectly.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Here is what you need to get the rotor off the crank. Remove the factory bolt then turn this one in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-R...EAAOSw44BYNSZT
          Get it started by hand then switch to an impact gun. I'm having the same problem with Red, my 1100E. The srews backed out the sheared off and after replacing them I got about 15 starts then it starts slipping. I looked at the rollers and they were round, so I'm thinking my springs got weak. I've had bikes at work where the rollers flat spotted and wouldn't grab the crank any more, but these looked perfect.
          Last edited by gsrick; 05-15-2017, 11:24 PM.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Rick - the ramps the rollers engage on will develop flat spots as well as the rollers themselves. We used to use a die grinder to smooth out the ramps when I worked in the shop some years back.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

"The starter motor actually is working fine, it whirs and turns like it should, and spins the bigger gear that's right behind"

is it whirring in right direction? Looking at layout on left side of bike, the starter motor should spin counterclockwise as you face it .
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If I'm remembering right, it is turning the right direction. I'll check it again this evening.

Thanks for the link, Rick - is the tool something that you just screw in partly and smack with a hammer? Or is the rotor supposed to come off once it's screwed in a ways?

Comment

Well, the bolt from ebay didn't work....it's too big. Has anyone removed the rotor for this year and model specifically? Having a hard time believing that this one motorcycle needs something so specific, but maybe I'm waking up to the reality of owning one of these babies.

Comment

Working...
                  X