Not sure what changed on my clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what changed on my clutch

Broke the clutch cable on my 81 850G. All I did was install a new one, no adjustments down below, a little freeplay, same as before, at the trans end lever and same as before at the handlebar lever. Now it's difficult to get neutral with the engine running. The clutch is not dragging that I can tell, as I can pull the clutch lever and push the bike around in gear, running or not. Before I get into the system from scratch, is there something I might have done to cause this? I only replaced the cable itself. Thanks

Did you accidentally raise the idle while you were installing the new cable? High idle can sometimes hinder finding neutral.

If not, then try and tighten the clutch cable a bit and see if that helps.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Did you take off the clutch release arm #29? If so, maybe it's in the wrong position on the splines of the pinion release #25 limiting travel.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
        Did you take off the clutch release arm #29? If so, maybe it's in the wrong position on the splines of the pinion release #25 limiting travel.
        The cable breaking allowed the arm to swing to new position- you must reposition clutch arm on pivot shaft so you can have about 1/4 inch play before you feel clutch start releasing. Then you fiddle with slack at handlebar.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You could just read the manual on how to adjust the clutch cable.
          Old cable would be stretched a bit no doubt.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
          X