1981 Suzuki GS850G sticky shifting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 Suzuki GS850G sticky shifting.

Okay guys, I have a 1981 GS850G and I'm having some shifting issues. My bike doesn't like to down shift without rpm matching the gears. New clutch last year and I have it adjusted the best I can without clutch slipping and still being able to shift. Clutch plates were good when I put in the new clutch, Not sticking or dragging. Just curious to see if anyone else has run into this. And I do beat the snot of of the bike, by running it up to 9500rpms a lot.

Thanks Colt.

No clue about your shifting issue but 9500 rpms? I'd be really uncomfortable, like it'd blow a trail of parts all over the road!
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45 View Post
      And I do beat the snot of of the bike, by running it up to 9500rpms a lot.
      You're going for the Superbike experience !
      I did the same thing with an old GS1000, old 1100 Wiseco's and 29mm smoothbores,
      loved every minute until i blew the engine.
      It's rebuilt now

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      No clue about your shifting issue but 9500 rpms? I'd be really uncomfortable, like it'd blow a trail of parts all over the road!
      David Emde called it a 'spectacular junkpile' 17:00 until 18:00 , great to watch him revving

Last edited by Rijko; 05-16-2017, 08:52 PM.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hahaha properly maintained I've had no issues. 10,000 is were it gets sketchy. But when your buddy's got a brand new 103 street glide I have to use all my little Suzuki has to let him know my 1000$ bike still kicks 35,000$ bike asses all day. Illl try to keep it under 9000 from now on. Cruising 70mph I'm turning 5000 rpms for 50 mile stretches. so I know the old girl can take a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45 View Post
          Okay guys, I have a 1981 GS850G and I'm having some shifting issues. My bike doesn't like to down shift without rpm matching the gears. New clutch last year and I have it adjusted the best I can without clutch slipping and still being able to shift. Clutch plates were good when I put in the new clutch, Not sticking or dragging. Just curious to see if anyone else has run into this. And I do beat the snot of of the bike, by running it up to 9500rpms a lot.

Thanks Colt.
          Change your type of oil recently? Maybe using synthetic?
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
            Change your type of oil recently? Maybe using synthetic?
            I am confused here, and don't want to start an oil war, but are you suggesting that he use synthetic or are you suggesting that maybe synthetic is causing his problem?

For the record, I use synthetic oil in ALL my vehicles. Rotella T6 5w-40 in all the GSes and the Wing, Mobil1 5w-30 and 10w-30 in the cages, only because Rotella is not available in a 30-weight formula.

I have had NO shifting problems with any of my bikes. I have not had any leaks mysteriously show up. And I keep the oil in use longer than most of you would feel comfortable with.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I am confused here, and don't want to start an oil war, but are you suggesting that he use synthetic or are you suggesting that maybe synthetic is causing his problem?

For the record, I use synthetic oil in ALL my vehicles. Rotella T6 5w-40 in all the GSes and the Wing, Mobil1 5w-30 and 10w-30 in the cages, only because Rotella is not available in a 30-weight formula.

I have had NO shifting problems with any of my bikes. I have not had any leaks mysteriously show up. And I keep the oil in use longer than most of you would feel comfortable with.

I'm not suggesting anything other than asking if he's recently changed his type of oil. This can sometimes affect wet clutches.
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I experienced sticky shifting before my clutch cable gave out. The cables lengthen with every strand that comes apart.
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I had the same condition from a po' s heavy duty clutch spring installation.
                  I replaced them with stock and all is smooth. But I don't consistently run at 9500 rpm's.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

As AMK mentioned, aftermarket clutch springs can cause the clutch to get sticky.

New OEM clutch springs will hold just fine -- you don't need the heavy duty springs. Install a new OEM clutch cable and lever, and it'll be like buttuh.

And as a fellow GS850 flogger, don't worry about your RPM -- these things love to spin; they need to spin. A GS850 above 6,000 rpm is one of motorcycling's more entertaining experiences. You do want to keep it under 10K, though.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I adjusted the clutch 2 days ago Before going to the dyno. I have the bike all torn apart at the moment. I have heavier springs in it now. I'm going to throw stock springs in it today or tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X