New to me '80 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me '80 GS1000G

Won the auction today but still working out the logistics {transport...u-ship bids are getting cheaper around $230 to ship}.
    First order of business is to get her home. Second, I think, the exhaust is in need of tweeking {...never been a fan of, uhm, "turn outs" - lol}
    Looking at slip ons...maybe.
    Can't complain for the money so far.
    Now I get my liter class Suzi....and she's got the s/s tail strip - ooooh - lol.

Oh, and yes I noticed the mis matched body pieces {can't place the tail piece year} and the aftermarket mirrors.
    Wife was just now informed...got the usual sigh...glad she gave up on the "look" long ago. My son is trying to claim it as his....at 12yrs old he's got a while.

Comment

$500?..... nice. Looks like a '78 1000 tail.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Looks like a '78 1000 tail.
        Yes - a "skunk" as they are known:

BTW - nice find for $500
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
          Won the auction today but still working out the logistics {transport...u-ship bids are getting cheaper around $230 to ship}.
          It's only a 500 mile round trip, just hook up the trailer and go get it. Don't have a trailer? If you have a tow vehicle, U-Haul has trailers for less than $20/day.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, congrats. That's an awesome bike for $500, great deal! Looks like it has an L airbox too, but everything else on there looks to be in good shape. It shouldn't be hard to trade that rear tail section for the proper one, in fact I'll trade you! You going to keep the apehangers??
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

You can get some nice Dunstall mufflers that look almost stock that work well, as long as the header wasn't cut too short.
              Rob
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Yes, congrats. That's an awesome bike for $500, great deal! Looks like it has an L airbox too, but everything else on there looks to be in good shape. It shouldn't be hard to trade that rear tail section for the proper one, in fact I'll trade you! You going to keep the apehangers??
                The ape hangers will go since I have a spare euro bar{..."super bike"}, the tail section...I have a cracked base spare {clutch side mount}, but we'll possibly talk....and I happen to have a semi set of rear sets, that I bought from someone here, that might manage to make an appearance on the bike after I get the exhaust {probably dunstalls} all set up.
                I'll need to go thru the whole thing once she gets here....and I might as well do a revamp log here to entertain the masses. A thought hit me this morning...while 29k on her clock isn't too bad, "if" I sold the 850G, I could call APE about a rebuilt top end and start reasonably fresh...and maybe a Delkevic can 4-1...we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  It's only a 500 mile round trip, just hook up the trailer and go get it. Don't have a trailer? If you have a tow vehicle, U-Haul has trailers for less than $20/day.

-My Mother was on the rails about lending me their Trailblazer {tow vehicle}...she still hates motorcycles since her father got hit on his Duc.
                  -A friend's wife doesn't want him to go with me because he'd eventually want a cycle {I'm a bad influence their too-lol} and he'd want to go since his truck is his baby.
                  - Lowest bid now from U-ship is down to $225...if it drops to $200 or a tad under It'd be worth them doing it for me to keep everyone's peace. Eons ago all of us guys were regularly in trouble...fast forward to now and a lot of the wives are stricter with them...I'm lucky with my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Looks like it has an L airbox too, ...
                    While that box was used on the L from '81-'83, it was not exclusive to the L. The '82 and '83 G had the same style.

The '80 850L was a one-year-only model for some of the styling bits, the chrome covers on that airbox were rectangular, like the ones on the G.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, as if Friday's surgery for me wasn't an unpleasant enough experience, now I can't get the Ebay seller to go to the post office to simply grab his certified payment letter.
                      {Steve- that's predominantly why I can't drive...I can take ten minutes in the car but no new HD or anything would get me to drive ten hours...no way}
                      Ranting here...but I shoulda known better than to think this wasn't too good to be true. Just last week I offered one of the craigs list funnies, that I posted on,
                      $750.00 for that cycle....$1500.00 was his minimum, but I just wanted the 1100g motor.
                      This eaby auction was good enough for the whole bike to be revamped...or just the motor again.
                      Shoot - I'm on my second round of U-ship bidding because the 1st round timed out. Now I have bids again, waiting to be ok'd on U-ship, but I can't do a darn thing till the seller gets the dang check...the games people seem to play....3 days still waiting for him just to drive 15min to his local post office and he still hasn't made it there.
                      Well, the way it's currently not going...it's looking like it's not gonna happen.
                      Sorry...lack of sleep...sore azz...and impending loss of this cycle is making me irritable.

Comment

Ya, why can't people just do what they need to, I feel your frustration. Hope this all works out for you still though.
                        Rob

Comment

OMG......and then all of a sudden, they do the right thing!
                          Check picked up today....I would have sworn {more than I presently was} that this deal would never happen due to the events {or lack there of} of this week. And then somebody upstairs seems to like you...
                          Booked today at noon...and updated ten minutes ago to dispatched. Once she's actually picked up I'll see it as all downhill......trying not to get too excited... {new liter class toy!}

Comment

Fingers crossed......
                            Rob

Comment

Had an early Memorial day party today at the inlaws, but I took time out to stop back at home to help offload my new toy....she's home!!!{3kidsexpress was great}
                              Pics will follow tomorrow...the "to-do" list has begun already, as soon as she got off the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X